Puhoi Forum Meeting Minutes: September 2020



Present: Paul Manton (Chairperson), Judith Williams, Greg Taylor, Sandra Beagley, Jenny Schollum, John Rehm, Karen Rehm, Jared Rehm, Sheryl Titford, Brian Titford, Jessica Hanlon (Secretary)

Apologies: Beth Houlbrooke,Richard and Alexandra Winterbourne, Emma Dore Puhoi Sports & Community Club, Dustin O’Leary, Sorrell O’Leary

1: Confirmation of Previous Minutes held on 28 July

Movedthat the minutes of the meeting held on 28 July 2020 to be confirmed as a true and accurate record

3: Matters Arising from those minutes (not appearing on this agenda)

Paul would like to nominate Jessica Hanlon as our secretary

  • Seconded by Judith William
  • All passed

4: Treasurers report – for August & September as previously circulated by Jenny Schollum


180 in subs. Total number of Members – 24.

Interest $0.47

Expenses: $30.00 for guest speaker January.

August $0.47 interest

Expenses: Nil


Expenses: Public Liability Insurance $402.50 (Jenny Schollum has paid this account from personal funds)

Jenny Moved that she is reimbursement for Public Liability $402.50

Seconded – Paul Manton


Working Account: 1254.03

River Park Cheque: 5818.12

River Park Savings: 11122.88

Available Funds from Lease: 8397.74

Treasures report 2nd Judith Williams

5: Incoming correspondence

FMG Account – Personal Liability

Email regarding people working in the park recently – No work done by volunteers during COVID

6: Local Board update

  • Volunteers evening – to recognize work done by our local volunteers
  • Extending river

Deferred to next meeting

7: General Business

Jared – Puhoi Fire brigade – Senior Fire Fighter Puhoi

Fire call outs over COVID very quiet not too many call out, motor vehicle. chimney and roof cavity. Nothing significant. Very good from fire crew point of view.

Noticing as returning to normal life more people travelling causing increase in traffic incidents – tiredness etc.

Fire season – Potential Drought situation. Puhoi is in many ways better off that other areas as we are used to conserving our water having our own household supplies. Drier than normal winter so rainfall

Community needs to be aware of conserving the water for themselves, Keeping in mind how the fire brigade would access your water source at home, to put out fires, while they have a small tanker and sources they would still need to access the home supply and small tank first.

Jared has done presentation at local markets etc. regarding fire safety and fire seasons / requirements etc. The fire brigade is happy to help in the community answer questions, provide support.

Ways you can help the brigade keep your property fire safe (available on PDF and the Check its alright Website)

  • Cleaning gutters so that waterflow into tank is not restricted
  • Create a boundary around your house – keeping debris and vegetation low around the house, less chance of your house catching fire. Easier for the brigade to access and protect your house.
  • Is your driveway clear enough for the trucks to get down onto your property?
  • Can they turn around when down your driveway?
  • Fire brigade is happy to come and do an assessment of your property if you have any concerns. (contact – Jared – 021 723 428 or at the station leave a note they train on Monday nights
  • www.checkitsalright.nz – great place to check the conditions and rules about lighting fires in local area.

Do you have a large water source on your property that the fire brigade can access water for use in fires?

Volunteers Wanted

Puhoi Community Fire Station is Looking for new able bodied, fit recruits – keen to share your skills, support the local community.

Female or male – 20+

Lots of opportunity for different skills – admin / fire fighting / medical / cleaning

Fire indicator arrow for Puhoi still a work in progress. There are designated spots and the fire station in Puhoi is not in a busy enough throughfare.

Volunteers evening – Sorrel – Deferred to next meeting

Extending river walkway using Mayoral Conservation Award Funds

Planting 800 plants 18 August done. Dustin, Sorrel and John completed the planting.

Spraying of gorse to be done – Mark Hallet &

New fencing to be done to keep the stock out – Post required about $800.00 – Mark Hallet

Paul moved that we will pay $800 for the post and materials for the fencing on the river walkway.

Seconded: Greg Taylor

Judith – 10 years ago planting of road reserve very heavily. This has grown very well however weeds are now growing through the natives. Judith asks that we look at organizing working party to remove these during summer alternatively Judith will get arborist in to do the weeding and charge back to the forum.

Action: Paul will look at the area in question and assess what is needed to be done.

Forum Lifetime membership

This was raised in the past. Forum currently collects $10.00 as a yearly membership.

Suggested Lifetime membership is designed to help raise a reasonable amount of funds to be able to use on a project.

Suggested amount $200.00

Paul Moved that we offer a lifetime membership at a cost of $200.00

Seconded: Greg Taylor

All in favour

Corporate Sponsorship

To think about for future – encouraging corporates to invest in projects outside the park.

Think about, and to be discussed at the next meeting.

Clearing of Tracks

Keir Dady is still prepared to come and clear the tracks in the park. Scraping all the gorse and pampas, swail at bottom and reinstate so that water goes through to the culvet. This will keep the path dry.

Metal then can be overlaid to help preserve the path. Small amount of metal to be

Paul: Keir and track clearing $1500 to be actioned

Seconded: Greg Taylor.

Road Safety – Deferred Next meeting

Puhoi Heritage Museum – Jenny Schollum / Sheryl Titford

Is still looking for a permanent home for the museum. They need a space with good foot traffic.

Paul suggests that we put a notice out to the community to see if anyone has any land or space that the museum could move to.

Forum is happy to help the museum find options.

Waiwera Valley – Sheryl & Brian Titford

Are currently meeting on Zoom. AGM has had to be postponed due to COVID. The next meeting

Tuesday (6 October)

Puhoi Village Market – Sandra Beagley

No Longer able to access the Sports Club.

They have been welcomed by new owners of the pub.

October 25th they are going to trial having the market on the lawn at the Pub

Civil Defence & Neighbourhood support – Judith Williams

Judith had earlier wanted to have a debrief for people to share their experiences over COVID but with the recurring situation, she has decided to not continue to pursue.

Judith feels that the feeling in the community is not as buoyant as it was earlier in the year, she feels that local social gatherings help to lift the spirits and provide opportunity for people to meet and help each other.

Attended the recent meeting AGM Rodney neighbourhood support (August). Dr Martin Hadler was a guest speaker – Red Beach Urgent Care. (Potential to approach him regarding talking to a group in Puhoi at quarterly event)

CARRE are holding a day in the beginning of October that Judith will attend. Radio-training, plans for potential water shortages.

Justin pointed out that in Puhoi our first emergency response people is the Puhoi Fire Station.

J Tolophf group – Greg Taylor

Repairs and Maintenance have been done on J Tolopf road.

Stage 1 of Ahuroa Road to be sealed by end of 2020 but, as of yet, no confirmation from AT on funding or start date for stage two but we are told it will happen.

14 October Tolopf road hosted by forest bridge trust. Hope is to talk about weed and pest control on their properties.

Puhoi Library – Sandra Beagley

The library is still closed, with the plan to reopen when Auckland returns to Level 1

Miscellaneous Items

Traffic speed in Puhoi. – Judith Williams

Raised concerns about the speed that people are travelling past her place on Ahuroa Road.

The Traffic group have ongoing requests for greater traffic speed restrictions to be in place in Puhoi.

Red strips / Bollards / lowering of speed limit in centre of village / footpath from Villa Rosa to village.


Speeding Vehicles – call 510


Next Meeting:

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday November, 27th October 7.30pm

Meeting Closed 9.05pm