Puhoi Community Forum Meeting Minutes April 2013

  • PCF APRIL 30 2013 MINUTES 

    PRESENT: committee members Ruth Cunliffe, chairwoman, Hans Everts, co-chair, Sue Tisdall, treasurer, Judith Williams, acting secretary, Peter Straka, Fran Endemann; visitors Rodney Local Board member June Turner, Local Matters journalist Jannette Thompson, Sheryll and Brian Titford, John Simons, Simon Walters, Thorsten Golland, Priscilla Everts

     

    WELCOME AND APOLOGIES: welcomed Rodney Local Board member June Turner, Local Matters journalist Jannette Thompson, Sheryll and Brian Titford, John Simons, Simon Walters, Thorsten Golland, Priscilla Everts apologies Gay Murphy, Russell Green, Kelvin Schedewy

    New Puhoi Cottage Café owner Thorsten Golland described the vision which had led his family from Germany to Puhoi.

     

    APPROVAL OF MINUTES: moved Peter Straka, seconded Fran Endemann

     

    MATTERS ARISING FROM MINUTES: none

     

    CORRESPONDENCE IN: general rate report from Bruce Scoggins

     

    TREASURER’S REPORT: opening balance, $322.85, April 30 balance, $237.85, wharf account, $232.79, $183.33 banked in Puhoi River Park Account as payment from Ross Tolhopf.

    Correction: add $60 to March report balance

    Acceptance of report moved Judith Williams, seconded Hans Everts

    Approval of $30 payment to acting secretary moved Fran Endemann, seconded Peter Straka.

     

    CLUB AND OTHER REPORTS

    1. Rodney Local Board: In response to an earlier question by David Dodsworth RLB member June Turner reported the domain bridge strength was compliant, but a little filling needed to be done on one end.

    Astro turf funding for the Puhoi tennis courts had been requested by Sharon Hallett from the sports club. Action: June Turner to clarify whether the bridge weight posted on the bridge was correct.

     

    2. Puhoi Pioneers Memorial Park: Ross Tolhopf and Peter Straka had prepared a design for new stock yards on the park. Ross was ready to start on the building when the forum gave the go-ahead. Action: Peter, Hans and Ross to meet to push the matter ahead.

     

    3. Puhoi And Districts Motorway Action Group: no report

     

    4. Matakana Country and Coast Business Group: group representative Sue Tisdall pointed out that Waiwera came under the Puhoi business group umbrella.

     

    5. Hall Committee: AGM May 29. Judith Williams moved thanks to the hall for running the quiz evening, seconded Sue Tisdall.

     

    6. Sports Club: president Simon Walters reported the lodging of the tennis court surfacing funding application and the proposed reopening of the sports pitch around mid May and thanked June Turner for her support. Around 150 local people attended the recent very successful soccer away game.

     

    7. Library Group: $195 was made from the Anzac Day display for the RSA. The library group would contribute to the Puhoi 150th Anniversary celebrations between June 15 and 30.

     

    8. Church Properties and Cemetery: Peter Straka reported the church was ‘open for business’.

     

    9. Puhoi Farmers Market: (report by market representative Judith Williams was attached ) Priscilla Everts described the interest in their origins showed by visitors to the Dutch stall. Brian Titford suggested the market would be improved if it provided for people wanting breakfasts.

     

    10. Puhoi Landcare: Judith Williams described the landcare group offer to contribute to sesquicentennial celebrations with a June 23 commemorative community planting and to provide the 150th anniversary committee with trees if they wished to run a different event. Brian and Sheryll Titford would give a plaque for the planting. Brian advised people complaining of wasps on public land such as near the dray to contact Auckland Council, which had chemicals to deal with the underground nests. Action: Judith to liaise with 150th committee and Landcare over planting event

     

    11. Puhoi Historical Society: The AGM is May 15. Subscriptions would remain at ? and would be due on that date, chairwoman Sue Tisdall said.

     

    12. Puhoi Website: the website was proving a useful tool, the meeting was told.

     

    13. Puhoi Rural Fire Force: Resource Consent application results had been communicated to the affected parties. Action: PCF to access the results

     

    14. Puhoi 150th Anniversary (report by anniversary representative Judith Williams was attached)

     

    GENERAL BUSINESS

     

    a.unitary plan: comments by presentation attendees noted the lack of detail on rural areas, except for the impression gained from the SEAS discussion that they were ‘being locked up for the benefit and use of city dwellers’. John Simons pointed to the confusion created by apparently opposing treatment of some Puhoi heritage sites in the plan. Action. Hans Everts to further investigate relationship between Unitary Plan and Puhoi Structure Plan . Findings to be circulated to committee prior to next meeting for further discussion with view to Forum submitting feedback to Council by closing date of 31st May 5pm.

    b.farewell to Morag and John Standbrook: moved Judith Williams, seconded Sue Tisdall that the PCF acknowledge the contribution made to local community life by Morag, a former forum chairwoman and Puhoi River Park sub-committee member, on the occasion of their leaving Puhoi to live at Thames. Action: invite Morag and Jonathon to attend the May 28 forum meeting for a presentation of appreciation. Action: Sue and Judith to organise, forum members to contribute to expense.

    c.mail mix-up: moved Hans Everts, seconded Fran Endemann, that the forum support Mike Swain’s offer to collate cases of mail return-to-sender mix-ups to take to NZ Post. Action: Hans Everts, Gay Murphy and Ruth Cunliffe to take this up and Ruth to speak to Mike Swain and Nick Lodewyks.

    d.Saleyards Road sight lines and Stop sign: John Simons alerted to the difficulty of sighting traffic approaching from the right for motorists waiting at the Saleyards – Ahuroa Roads intersection Stop sign when large vehicles were parked there, because of the positioning of the yellow stop lines there. Action: John to approach Auckland Council to deal with the problem.

    e.AGM date and first 2013-2014 committee meeting: June 25 2013 Sports Club, 7pm. Subscriptions will be due on or before that date. Action: PCF officers to notify public 14 days in advance and arrange chairpersons’ and financial reports, subscription collection, nominations for independent committee members and letters of approval for club representatives.

     

    NEXT MEETING AND CHAIRPERSON: 7.30pm Sports Club, May 28, Hans Everts

     

    MEETING CLOSED: circa 9.45pm