• Enthusiastically Ethnic!

    This month’s May market is dedicated to our annual celebration of Puhoi’s ethnic and national diversity. Around 11am the Puhoi Bohemian Children’s Choir will perform […]

    Read more »
  • Long Live The Pub Quiz!

    When: June 20, 2019 @ 6:30 pm – 9:00 pm

    The Outrageously Fun Puhoi Pub Quiz has been brought back from the brink! Third Thursday of every month Get your Team together as first Quiz […]

    Read more »
  • Puhoi Centennial Hall AGM 2019

    When: June 10, 2019 @ 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
    Where: Puhoi Hall

    All Welcome to Join the Puhoi Hall AGM. This is a chance to see how the hall is run, join the committee and take a […]

    Read more »
  • Art for Art’s Sake

    When: July 27, 2019 @ 7:00 pm – 11:59 pm
    Where: Puhoi Hall

    Puhoi party event of the year – don’t miss this one! Contact Sarah Churchouse ( puhoihall@gmail.com ) to reserve tickets for this popular event

    Read more »
  • Support Our Local Village Market

    Read more »
  • Puhoi Sports Club Fishing Tournament Series

    When: September 29, 2018 @ 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm
    Where: Puhoi Sports Club

    On the last Sunday of the month, starting 30/9/2018 Weigh-in 3pm at the Sports Club Prize giving 4pm at the sports club Average weight Kids […]

    Read more »

The Dirt Road Orchestra and Tweed Present PRIMAVERA

The Dirt Road Orchestra and Tweed are very excited to bring PRIMAVERA to the Puhoi Centennial Hall on Sunday  9th December.


Start 3pm. Doors open 2.30pm. Interval refreshments. Tickets $20 from Eventbrite or on the door. Kids free.


Kick back and relax at this intimate unplugged, afternoon, performance. Featuring original songs and a new spin on a bunch of well-loved classics featuring multi layered harmonies, guitar, mandolin, fiddle and percussion.


This is the last concert of our Primavera tour. We even wrote a special song for this gig. “The Bells of Puhoi.” Listen to it here: https://soundcloud.com/boobar-1/the-bells-of-puhoi


Here’s another taster.


Piano Tuning

Well known local piano vituoso Brian Becroft is able to tune pianos. Brian is a massive piano buff and even owns a Bosendorfer Imperial Concert Grand.

Phone 021 232 5370 if you need your piano tuned – he’ll almost certainly be able to help!



Support Your Local Team

Our pre-season fixture list has been finalised with some good opposition included.

The list of seven games between February 16th and March 30th features clubs such as Forrest Hill, Mt Albert Ponsonby & Tuakau, as well as a charity match against Ngunguru FC which will be played as an annual curtain raiser to our season each year.

Times and venues for the games will be advised closer to the time, however you can expect most of our fixtures to be played in Puhoi at the club.

Get along and support the boys in the new year as we prepare to take on the challenge of getting promoted into the AFF/NFF Conference!

Great food and drink options are also available in the clubrooms, as well as a pool table, TV’s and a large balcony to relax and watch the match.


Mahurangi West Hall: Annual General Meeting and Community Social


Annual General Meeting and Community Social

HALL AGM – Followed by a shared meal
ALL WELCOME, The more the merrier!

We are always looking for members of the community to become involved so come and see what is happening.

6-6.30pm Mix and Mingle
6.30 -7.15pm AGM
7.15 pm onwards – shared meal
BYO plate or nibble and beverage

2018 AGM Agenda
• Apologies
• Acceptance of Minutes AGM 2017
• Chairman’s Report
• Financial Reports
• Hall Use and Booking Report
• Building Discussion
• Elections
• Acknowledgements
• General/Any Other Business


Come One, Come All!

Message from the Hall Committee

The Puhoi Centennial Hall Committee would like to thank everyone for their wonderful support and generosity at the recent Race Night Event.
We made a total of $1475.00 on the night and should clear at least $1300.00 after the expenses have been paid.
A special thank you to Pat Backley for carrying the very heavy “Race Pack” in her hand luggage on her last journey back from to the UK.
We had very generous sponsors for the Race night including :
Gillian, Amigo and team from the Puhoi Pub, Michelle from Puhoi Beauty, Stacey from Soulistic, Roger Davies,  Greg from Shimano,  George and Kate from Puhoi River Canoe Hire, Nick and Jo from Puhoi General Store, Pat and Fran from Gunners Restaurant,  Sheryl from Slow Water Trading,  Bev from Orata Oysters,  Jo from Puhoi Cottage Tearooms,  Alex and Iryna from Puhoi Organic Distillery,  Anthony and all the team at Orewa Life Pharmacy (Tamariki Ave).
We would also like to thank Kate for the loan of the projector from Orewa College and  Andy Tait for the loan of the microphone.
A special thank you goes to Mike Swain and Jenny for technical assistance and All of the committee for all their hard work organising and clearing up after the event.
On the night there were too many raffles to mention all the winners, but the big raffle that was in the store was won by Val Smith. Door prize Mary Fitzgibbon. Best Hat was won by Sheryl Papprill and Andy Tait.
Once again I would like to thank you all for your support. If I have forgotten to mention anyone I apologise but please be assured that your support and generosity is very much appreciated.
Kind Regards Val Smith (Secretary)

Agenda for Puhoi Community Forum Meeting to Be Held On Tuesday, 27 November


MEETING TO BE HELD ON TUESDAY, 27 November at 7.30pm at



Confirmation of the Minutes of previous Meeting held on 30th October, 2018

Matters Arising from those Minutes (not appearing on this Agenda)

Incoming / Outgoing Correspondence

Treasurer’s Report for November 2018 (previously circulated) – Jenny Schollum

General Business
Finish gravel spreading at top of Puhoi loop track bush section

Working Groups – updates
Puhoi Pioneers Memorial Park
Road Safety Group
Civil Defence
Neighbourhood Support
Historical Society

Village market – Judith Williams

NEXT MEETING: The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, 27th November at 7.30pm. This will be the final meeting for 2018.

Minutes of the Puhoi Forum Community Meeting 30th October 2018



HELD AT PUHOI SPORTS CLUB ON 30th October 2018 commencing at 7.30 pm.


None received


Paul Manton, Mike Swain, Dustyn O’Leary, Teri Ryder, Jenny Schollum, Judith Williams, Sandra Beagley, Sorrel O’Leary, Gavin Donaldson, Bryan Titford.

Incoming correspondence/ Local Board Update

Public consultation is currently open on two bylaws, public safety and nuisance and Council review on development contributions policy. Feedback required by 5 Nov.
Collapsed jetty removed from behind Hall by local Board.
Renewal work coming up around the Library, door and chimney, chimney, pathways and signage.
AT approaches NZTA re bus stops on main roads, which are a difficulty. Local Board will continue to pursue a stop for Puhoi.
Roadworks coming up on Krippner road.
Ahuroa Road next major project for AT 2019 – 2021.


Matters arising from the minutes

Clarification was sought on the following points:

i) Jenny was not approaching landowners on behalf of the Forum regarding the BAN 1080 sign.

ii) The Puhoi Pioneers Memorial Park is not being closed due to kauri dieback.

Motion 1

THAT the minutes of the meeting held on 28th August 2018 be confirmed as a true and accurate record.

Moved: Dustyn OLeary

Seconded: Paul Manton



Landcare funds have been received and will be used to pay for planting completed during 2018 winter. Lance has completed the spraying work around the new planting. Confirmation sought to pay for this work

Motion 2

THAT the Forum pay Lance $270 for his work in the park.

Moved: Sorrel O’Leary

Seconded: Judith Williams


Motion 3

THAT the Treasurer’s report for April 2017 be accepted as a true and accurate record.


Moved: Jenny Scholum

Seconded: Paul Manton



i) Street Party

Will be held on Dec 10th (Monday) in Puhoi Hall, starting at 6.00pm. Forum members to come half an hour earlier to help set up. Market manager to arrange music if possible.

ii) Working Groups Updates

Puhoi Pioneers Memorial Park

Mike has removed all internal sheep pens, leaving only the perimeter in place. Most poles except large ones removed but still need backfilling. This could be community garden space. A committed team and comprehensive plan for the area is needed, keep Council informed for approval. Philippa would be interested in setting up composting there also, possible use of pony poo.
Ongoing to and fro communication with UMS parks people doing the maintenance work. Paul contacted Tess, 25th Sept. and Will and Alison Roe, about mowing the riparian strip. UMS have mowed the 830mstrip along the new fenced river walkway but it is not on his maintenance list, so he needs to have this recognized by Council and added to the Park Maintenance Plan to ensure ongoing mowing happens.
Finally got some maintenance from Council, did some additional clearing. They will be coming twice more.
The Gorse growh in far end above subdivision requires attention, Will Mayber of UMS has a prototype drone to spray – we may want to be involved in a trial. This would involve a cost for spray.
Will can look at tidying up tracks, but it is currently outside scope of general maintenance.
Pigs have been seen on the track, but don’t represent a strong public safety issue.
Goats have proliferated at far end of valley, culling will be taking place on NX2 and Asia Pacific land but not within the park itself.

Traffic Safety/Walkways

Opportunity to lower speed limit within the village area was discussed. Beth suggested writing to Auckland Transport re 30 km speed reductions or village – copy in Beth. Beth recommends to pass a resolution, copy that resolution as an attached PDF from Puhoi Forum, formalizing the request. Luke suggests that the reduction in speed spans from State Highway 1 to Rosa Villa Lane or Cemetery. Without adequate provision for safe walking, reducing the speed from 80km/h down to 50km/h in the outer areas and from 50km/h to 30km/h within village center. Any resolution from the Forum will only start the discussion and AT will carry out full consultation on the matter before any changes are made.

Motion 4

THAT the forum writes a formal letter to Auckland Transport requesting a reduction in the speeds limits from SH1 to the Cemetery.

Moved: Luke

Show of Hands: Majority in favor.


Civil Defense

Oct 10th there was a meeting of the mothership group, Rodney East Emergency Defence Group. Judith attended and suggests Puhoi should be part of this group as currently isn’t. Judith requested a motion passed to approve Puhoi starting a local civil defence group. This group can draw on the plan for Mahurangi West and adapt this for Puhoi – responsibilities, assets etc. and would need the support and credibility offered by Forum.

Heritage Museum

14-15th Nov Czech film company are making a documentary about emigrants around the world, and because settlers came from what is now part of Czechoslovakia, they will be visiting museum and church.
First entry now up sharing local Maori people heritage of Puhoi.
Armistice Day 11th Nov, short ceremony at the church and bells to mark this.

Village Market

Numbers were reduced for last market. It was day after Kowhai festival!

The meeting closed at 8.50 pm.


The next meeting and the AGM will be held on Tuesday 27th November 2018 from 7.30pm.

Kids! Help Reduce Plastic & Landfill – Make it Yourself and Make Some Cash


Hey kids, want to make some pocket money for Xmas?

This is our last market for the year and we are wanting home-made Xmas decorations and cards.
We will supply (free) a gazebo and stall space for you to share with other kids for the sale of your Xmas crafts.
Just bring a small box or bag with your goods and set up at our coming Puhoi Village Market on Sunday 25 November
Let me know that you are coming by emailing puhoivillagemarket@gmail.com for further details.

1 3 4 5 6 7 109