Learn about Puhoi’s history by visiting the heritage sites
This site is maintained by Mike Swain and Jenny Neel. It is run as a volunteer effort for the Puhoi community. Please let us know of any inaccuracies or problems (broken links etc) – obviously we do our best to keep everything tickety-boo !
We welcome contributions to the site relevant to the Puhoi community. Simply use the contact form below to send us any news or event items for the PuhoiNZ site (or phone Mike on 09 4220478).
If your enquiry relates to the content of an advert or article on the site it would be best to use the contact details (e.g. email or phone number) on the page rather than this form.
The Centennial Hall Committee meets to discuss all issues relating to the hall.
On Saturday 30th of July arrive between 8.30 and 9am at 120 J Tolhopf Road, Puhoi.
We start with coffee and breakfast. This includes home-made bacon and free-range eggs.
You will get a hand-out which describes everything we cover on the day for future reference. You will also be invited to join our Artisan Salami & Bacon Facebook page for ongoing support and sharing ideas.
Salami, Chorizo and Droge Worst:
- Overview of the process: tell and show
- Hands on: making the different meat mixes using the recipes provided
- Putting mixes through the sausage maker
- Cold smoking
- Air drying
- How to create a similar set-up
Lunch, including cold-smoked cheese and air-dried artisan salami & chorizo
Bacon and dry-cured meats:
- Overview of the process; step by step
- Dry curing process
- Soaking and the preparation prior to the cold smoking
- Cold smoke; the smoker will be operating on the day
- Cool down and slice
- Curing and cold-smoking other meats
- Where to buy and how to make a cold-smoking set-up
Visit the Puhoi historic pub to enjoy a drink on us before we go our separate ways.
I can be contacted on email@example.com or on 09 972 33
Get what you need in Puhoi…