Minutes of the Puhoi Forum Meeting 26 September 2017

MINUTES OF THE PUHOI FORUM COMMUNITY MEETING

HELD AT PUHOI SPORTS CLUB ON 26 SEPTEMBER 2017 commencing at 7.30pm

Present

Dustyn O’Leary (Chair), Paul Manton (Co- Chair), Gavin Donaldson, Judith Williams, Sorrel O’Leary, Mike Swain, Jenny Schollum, Jenny Neel, Sheryll Titford, Brian Titford

Apologies

Heston Prosper-Smith, Teri Ryder, Peter Cooley, Chris Mundell, Beth Holbrooke, Tessa Berger, Wendy Hayton

Welcome

Dustyn O’Leary, as Chair, welcomed attendees to the meeting.

1. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING 25 JULY 2017

The minutes of the meeting held on 27 June 2017 had been previously circulated. The minutes were accepted as being a true and accurate record.

Motion 1

THAT the minutes of the meeting held on 25 July 2017 be confirmed as a true and accurate record.

Moved: Gavin Donaldson

Seconded: Paul Manton

Carried

2. TREASURER’S REPORT for JUNE 2017– previously circulated

Current balance of $1584 in working account. Invoice outstanding from Rodeny Straka for $1527 for plant supply. Left over grant money of $700 grant money will go towards further plant orders next winter/planting season. Grant Accountability Report to be filed at end of month (Dustyn to complete and submit).

Motion 2

THAT the recent plant supply invoice from Rodeny Straka be paid in full.

Moved: Sorrel O’Leary

Seconded: Dustyn O’Leary

Carried

3. SUBDIVISION DISCUSSION

Chair raises the new subdivision and points out that the ‘working group’ formed earlier this year to try to keep tabs on future subdivisions

Difficult to find Council requirements and specs for development. This changes frequently, and with new zoning provides for a lot of new development.

We need to look at the potential areas for subdivision. The environmental impact on the Puhoi River is raised and Judith points out that with new tech the impact is lessened. However the infrastructure is still at when there were 10 families living here. Fire, water, traffic issues. Where does the money from the subdivisions go, we need to have infrastructure plans for utilities.

Another Chris Dixon subdivision behind Hallet Road and Titford House. It is now non notifiable, so Rodney Board members will have no more notice than we do. Beth, although they often know of these, they are not allowed to tell us.

General discussion about the difficulty of fighting development, and the need to do something about the notifiable aspect, so subdivisions are happening without factoring in the accumulative effect on the receiving environment. Collective impact not being recognised by different planners or the Council at large.

Letters to Council, notify local newspapers, but be clear about what we want. With zoning already in place and no opportunity for input to this, it seems difficult to challenge subdivisions now. The use of Rodney historic structure plans to support community fights for specific infrastructure.

A plan to update the Puhoi Structure Plan and attempt to get it signed off or acknowledged by the Auckland Council. under the unitary plan. Mike will approach Beth to explore this avenue – ask Beth or Tessa to bring a Council planner and invite the public, and any other members of the Council.

Motion 3

THAT the Forum approaches Rodney Local Board reps to come to a meeting with Puhoi Forum members to liaise regarding subdivisions in Puhoi and request that the Forum itself be put on te list for notifiable applications for subdivision.

Moved: Dustyn O’Leary

Seconded: Mike Swain

Carried

GENERAL BUSINESS

a) Working Groups Updates

  • Puhoi Pioneers Memorial Park

Sinead B from council with Biosecurity contractor and Shelley Hackett met with Sorrel 16th Sept to discuss maintenance of the planting. Pest control was discussed with regard to rabbits and contractor suggested spray as being effective. Contract has not being shared yet, but the agreement was to control kikuyu in some areas, and gorse, to replant bigger trees on one point of land, to look at in planting before planting next stretch of walkway, and to provide rabbit protection sleeves and stakes for 300 plants. Still waiting on these.

  • Traffic Safety/Walkways

Road Safety met with AT reps (3) who basically refused to provide any maintenance or support for local projects within the road corridor. Biggest message was that if Local Board takes it on as a project this would include liability , which would remove AT responsibility. Otherwise, we can apply for an encroachment license which gives us license to encroach on their land, but we would therefore be obligated to maintain any installations/structures that we install. With regards to the proposed car stop project, the Local Board put in the footpath between the Hall and Library but did nott address the parking issue that was raised at the time and is now ongoing problem. AT considers that therefore the Local Board may be able to help remedy the rpboelm within the original project scope. Dustyn (Chair) to follow up with Local Board.

Gillian’s pathway – Stage 2 (section to be within road corridor), would require a CAR (corridor access request), and would require AT involvement. There may be some help available within this from AT’s walkways group but this was not made very clear at the meeting. The proposed bus turnaround requires significant further community consultation and a full resource consent in order to progress and therefore AT will become involved again with this project at a later date.

SH1 Intersection Update – slip lane is going to be removed and the passing lane by Hungry Creek removed, along with speed reduction to 80kph. At the recent meeting with NX2 the fire brigade chief (Russell) made his displeasure at this development clear, as it will become next to impossible to make a right-hand turn out from Puhoi. Locals need to log their experiences and send these to AT.

b) Civil Defense

Judith reports back on meeting on Sept 7 for Regional preparedness at WW by Auckland Council, Mahurangi East group (the Mothership).

We need to encourage residents to sign up for Red Cross hazard app which is the main source for public disaster messages, and maintain a diverse range of website hazard notifications to ensure locals are quickly aware of any happening. Community centers and First Aid for locals are desirable. A free community course could be offered by Puhoi for locals. Puhoi Hotel, Puhoi Historic Hall, and the new Fire Station could all be emergency centers in disaster events. Asset mapping and knowing neighbors is essential, and there are problems with acquiring, storing and maintaining gear for being prepared for disasters. RESILIENCE was a core topic, being made up of Community Gardens, for instance and home emergency plans. Ministry of Civil Defence in Wellington has booklets available for more information on this.”

Decision made to approach Russell for temporary storage of CD (Civil Defense) information and to ask the Library, Museum and Store to hand out information at their counters. Core Leadership group being formed by Heston not too successful yet, so please put word out that he is looking for people to be involved in CD. Possible meeting in two weeks in Hall or Sports Club to start involving community members.

c) Village Market

The Market is continuing to use the upstairs area of Sports Club until the end of the year as this has been very successful. New market manager, David Dodsworth, former manager of Tea shop.

Road is damaged, exiting bridge from Domain, this may need Forum attention to help get fixed.

INCOMING CORRESPONDENCE

Christine Mundell Re spray on Krippner Road.

No spray zone has lapsed and landowners not mowing verges has led to current unmaintained roadway situation. As far as the Forum is aware AT scraped/cleared road and have sprayed to keep grass under control. There are no ‘No Spray’ zones indicated along Krippner Road currently and generally no one present was contacted to ask if they wanted the verge sprayed. Chair to contact Christine and tell her to contact Council regarding the spraying if she has any further issue. The forum upholds the rights of individual land owners to opt out of road spraying.

The meeting closed at 8.30pm.

NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 31 October 2017 at 7.30pm.