Community Forum Meeting June 2013: Minutes

MINUTES OF COMMITTEE MEETING HELD AT PUHOI SPORTS CLUB

24th June 2013 at 7.45pm.
CHAIR – HANS EVERTS

PRESENT: R Green, B & S Titford, G Sorensen, B & B Marcroft, P Straka, J Williams,
H Everts, S Tisdall, R Cunliffe, G Murphy, M Swain, J Neel, T Koops, R Hern, J Dahl,
P Manton, M Drury, P Beecroft, A Cranna-Powell.

APOLOGIES: J Turner, D Hay

MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Minutes were confirmed. (S Tisdall, R Green)

MATTERS ARISING:
Website: Mike Swain reported 278 [Errata: over 4000 -Mike] visits in May. The website will be linked to Facebook. Any further groups who wish to be included should send an email to Mike for their inclusion.

Traffic Safety: Julie Woods looked at the recently-completed traffic marking. She advised that the police should be the first port of call re speeding and safety-related matters within the village.

Hanging wire: The one at the end of Krippner Road was revealed to be a Telecom wire that has now been tightened and repaired.

CORRESPONDENCE IN/OUT: as circulated by email.

TREASURERS REPORT: Tabled as per AGM

GROUP REPORTS:
H Everts asked for each Group representative to share with the Committee one initiative of the Group during the coming year that they would like the Forum to know about, plus one initiative that they (the Group) would like the Forum to undertake. This will help the Forum to shape the Agenda for the next 12 months.

a) Local Board: no report
b) Historical Society: S Tisdall reported that they had been working very hard on getting the Museum ready for an influx of visitors this weekend for the 150th celebrations, as well as getting information up to date in the records room. There will be a sales area in the playgroup room, accessed through the Museum this weekend (no eftpos). The museum will be open 6am on Friday morning to accommodate the Breakast Show. If you need to get warm I will be making tea/coffee plus a biscuit at $1 a cup towards the building fund. We are running two raffles – funds to go towards the new Museum. Drawn 30/6/13 at the end of the afternoon. Any help with this venture would be appreciated. We are still looking for a suitable site within the village. On Sunday after Mass at 9.30am the old school bell, which has recently been returned to Puhoi, will be rung by a descendant (Kelvin Schedewy). Everyone is welcome to gather around to acknowledge the settlers and to unveil the new plaque’s honouring Maori, Capt Krippner’s input, and the families who first came. Prayers and a wreath will be laid, then another descendant (Margaret Hosting nee Bayer) will place the time capsule, for future generations to open, providing a window on the past. The capsule will contain a number of things pertinent to the current celebrations and put next to the 1988 capsule. Initiative – looking to the Forum for ongoing support in finding the Museum a new home.
c) Memorial Park: see General Business
d) Community Hall: The working bee was attended by committee members. The roof will need repair this year. The usual fundraising events are scheduled, e.g. concert.
e) Sports Club: Simon is standing down as President but remaining as coach.
f) Rural Fire Force: Numbers are down to 11. There will be fundraising for the new Fire Station. No initiative is presented at this stage as the building is initiative in itself.
g) Community Response/neighbourhood watch: no report.
h) Puhoi horse riding group: see General Business
i) Library: Lynette Anderson will be the contact representative, although this will be a rotating role. The centenary of the building is coming up in August 2013. A photographic display is planned. A wine and cheese evening will be for invited guests only with regard to the size of the library. The committee wants to commemorate the supporters of the library by the placing of a memorial seat outside the library, the difficulty being that this would have to be placed within the 10 meter boundary. The initiative requested would be support from the Forum for the placement of the seat on the river bank.
j) Church & Cemetery: Refurbishments are now completed and ready for the 150th celebrations. There is a funeral on Friday which may pose traffic issues to coincide with the village celebrations. No initiative as such to report.
k) Farmers Market: Would like to have the market well supported each month. An initiative would be the “Local Nationalities” event recently held so successfully to become an annual event.
l) Waiwera Valley Assoc: Rock and Roll dance 14th or 21st of September. Open to all. This will put on the website. H Everts welcomed the WVA to the Forum.
m) Business group: Sue Tisdall reported that the Matakana Coast & Country initiative over the past six months has seen a lot of work in the background. A lot of time and effort is going into the building of a comprehensive website that will take people into the areas they want to visit and take a close look, yet still be able to look around the whole area of Waiwera to Te Hana. They are working on branding for the region to keep it uniform and focusing on the five senses … See …Smell…Taste…Hear…Touch. What to do, what to see, visit, how the look and feel etc. So it is quite involved to make it work for the whole region. In mid July she hopes to get together interested business people, big and small, in the Puhoi/Waiwera area for a networking opportunity and also to introduce them to the work the executive committee has been doing.
n) Structure Plan: Matters are in abeyance until the Draft Auckland Plan returns for formal consideration in September.
o) Landcare: Planting Day was well attended. The exercise was a good one and Peter Straka’s tractor was very much appreciated. The Bio security people are being kept informed.
p) Advisory Board: The next meeting will be held in August.
q) Logging on Krippner Rd: All is Quiet on the Western Front.
r) 150th Celebrations committee: Judith has been very helpful in keeping us all informed. The Disco has until 6pm 25/6/13 to muster the numbers, otherwise this event will be cancelled. Hans put the following motion: “The Puhoi Community Forum expresses its gratitude to those whose dedicated work over many months has made the Sesquicentennial Celebrations possible. We wish the Planning Committee and all participating organisations and individuals (both Bohemian descendants and others) a very satisfying and successful weekend of celebration”. Seconded: S Tisdall, passed.
s) Motorway Access: John Simons reported a reference item in NZ Herald June 20 2013 concerning the effects of earthworks on Puhoi scenic reserve presented by Auckland Council. This report appears to be based on wrong information. This matter is ongoing and he will report on any developments.

GENERAL BUSINESS:
Memorial Park and horse riding: For a background report, see email from Hans, dated 21.6.13. During discussion, the following points were raised:
We need to accommodate a range of Park users.
R. Green urged the Forum not to be too bound by formal rules in developing Park use. P Manton urged at the same time that previous uses of the Park should not be lost by the lack of a formal agreement, especially since it is getting more difficult to ride on the road verge, which has led to the need for a designated riding area.
The current lease is between the Forum and Council, and between the Forum and the sublessee.
R Hern acknowledged that R Tolhopf has rior rights as the sublessee, but thought that he would be flexible in accommodating horse riders.
The Management Plan, as a Council documents, outlines the specific structure concerning the multiple uses of the River Park. H Everts will circulate the Management Plan and a copy of the current leases.
Further discussion needs to take place on how this all fits together.
It is particularly important that we are seen to be using the Park – a “use it or lose it”.

Yards: The weather has delayed the building of the yards. The estimated cost is $3461+GST. There is no facility at present for the loading of cattle. 18 month old cattle have time constraints to be off the land.

Tracks and Trails: see email noted above.

Judith Williams promoted her book and invited all to the launch this weekend.

Footpath between bridge and library: John Simons noted that there is a drain that runs under the road that picks up water from the creek on the boundary between the Puhoi Store and Peter Straka which discharges into Puhoi River, just beyond the library. Some 15 years ago the contours and the subsidence similar to the present situation was reported to council (RDC).
At that time rocks were placed next to the outfall, and earth fill used to level off the grassed area. The inlet pipe is partially blocked and surface water may well be percolating alongside the pipe to the river and contributing to collapse of the river bank and the resulting subsidence. Note fibre optic cable manhole placed so as to avoid this subsidence.

MEETING CLOSED: 9PM

NEXT MEETING: Tuesday July 30th.
CHAIRMAN: Derek Hay