Puhoi Rural Fire Brigade: Forum Report 26/11/2013

Puhoi Rural Fire Brigade

Report for Forum meeting 26/11/2013

Our turnouts are increasing inline with the fine weather.

76 calls for the year so far.

Of note is the increase in complaints from neighbours in regards to smoke nuisance from rubbish fires. It would be good if all parties showed more consideration and tolerance around this issue as we do live in the country. Large rubbish fires should be notified to stop false callouts- please ring me to advise if you are having a burn off- 021 655461.

The Restricted Fire Season will come into play as per normal on the 1 December. Only permitted fires will be allowed after that date. If the weather continues to be dry and hot then it wont be long and the area will be in a total fire ban. I will make sure this is notified via the various channels in Puhoi if that is the case.

Our new ute is still ‘ a couple of weeks away’- same as it was 6 weeks ago!

Watch this space!

Our station plans are progressing slowly and once we have an agreed concept design I will be able to share this with the community. We are finding that there is very little input into the design as planning restrictions, resource consent requirements and other such things as the Puhoi Structure Plan are coming into play to denote the construct and design so to speak- now this is a good thing but it does take away the communitys ability to have input into this side of it. I was hoping to have this by this meeting but it isn’t ready yet- ‘another couple of weeks’ apparently- sounds familiar!

The project looks like to be circa $700,000- so we have a few more bbqs to go yet!

We have 4 locals interested in joining the Brigade. This is fantastic and we look forward to them becoming part of the crew. If anyone else- male or female- 16 years and older would like to join please contact myself or Rob Beardmore 021891996 to have a chat.

New recruits are always welcome as they bring new skills and energy to the Brigade.

We had a theory training session with Westpac Helicopter crew last week and was great to be able to clarify a few things with them. Their night vision goggles allows them to see the flame from a cigarette lighter from over 2 kilometres away! They were so cool to put on and look through- an excellent xmas present for the bloke with all the toys already I reckon- trouble is $10,000 US probably means they wont be in my stocking!

So please keep yourself safe.

Don’t hesitate to call 111 if you need us- best to call us first and then try to put your fire out than the other way around!!

Thanks to the community for its support.

Chief Fire Officer Russell Green 021 655461

Puhoi Rural Fire Brigade

Less Speed, More Haste

The Puhoi Community Forum has discussed a number of times over the years the problem with speeding traffic in and approaching the village centre. Discussion has centred on extending the 50 limit to the turn off from the state highway to as far as Bruce McGregor Drive or even the cemetery, speed bumps, more police presence, installing some form of chicane and/or a pedestrian crossing. Before we make a further approach to the police, Transit New Zealand or Auckland Council we want to be able to provide specific examples or speeding or erratic driving in the area. To this end Derek Hay, phone 422 0706 has agreed to collate information of any incidents over the next 2-3 months to see how extensive the problem is. Therefore, if you see anybody speeding or driving erratically please advise Derek with the following information, if possible – date, time and place of the incident, vehicle registration number, make and model of vehicle if known, assessed speed or other problem, any other relevant information.
“It would seem that some of our new neighbours are not aware that J Turnwald Road and Lenzen Road are side roads off Tunnel Road, and they neither look nor slow down as they turn into Tunnel Road in their cars,” observes one of our residents from up that way.

Minutes for Puhoi Community Forum: February 2014

MINUTES FOR THE PUHOI COMMUNITY FORUM

PO Box 404199 PUHOI

COMMITTEE MEETING HELD AT PUHOI SPORTS CLUB

Tuesday 25 February 2014

CHAIRMAN – P Straka

 

PRESENT: M Hayton, G Driver, K Warren, H Everts, P Straka (chair) B Titford, B Houlbrooke, T Koops, M Bellham, S Buckley, J Williams, L Mitchell, J Simons, S Tisdall, G Sorensen

 

APOLOGIES: R Green, D Hay, P Cooley, B Cooley, P Manton M: H Everts 2nd: J Williams

 

MINUTES OF LAST MEETING:

J. Simons requested an amendment:

Amendment: It was requested that the last paragraph be amended to read:

“There was discussion regarding the designation of Puhoi under three different zones- the Generic Rural and Coastal Settlement Zone, the newly-defined Sub-Precinct A and the newly-defined Neighbourhood Centre. G Sayers spoke to the “Precinct Plan Concept.”

M: H Everts 2nd: S Tisdall

MATTERS ARISING: Nil

 

CORRESPONDENCE IN:

Revised Unitary Plan feedback H Everts (circulated)

Paul Cliffe – weed control in the Memorial park

“What do you want from the Forum” suggestions- refer to GB

 

CORRESPONDENCE OUT:

H Everts to P Cliffe re Memorial Park Weed control

What do you want from the Forum in 2014? (Circulated)

 

TREASURERS REPORT: tabled M: G Sorensen 2nd: L Mitchell

 

GROUP REPORTS:

Local Board: Submissions close this Friday. Local Board “Rodney in the Spotlight” Expo at Mahurangi College Warkworth this Saturday. 10 am – 4pm. Auckland Transport (AT) meeting presented and discussed the designs for the footbridge. $90,000 will not cover costs, but a further allocation will be made.

Puhoi Memorial Park: Grazing sub-licence under review nearly completed. J Williams proposed thanks to P Straka and H Everts for their efforts. H Everts presented Ecological Management Plan prepared by Boffa Miskell Ltd re the park. (Circulated). Bio security has visited the area and 90 hours has been allocated to work with Landcare and the Forum. Landcare to prepare an action plan for work to be completed in the Park.

Park Advisory Committee: There is an Auckland-wide review as to how the parks and reserves are managed to bring all areas into line with each other. Park Advisory Board AGM will not be necessary, but the Sub-licence Agreement needs to go to B Houlbrooke for her attention. L Mitchell questioned whether there could be a closer relationship between PCF and the reconstituted Advisory Board. B Houlbrooke left the meeting at 8.35pm giving her apologies for next month’s meeting.

Motorway: J Simons presented a report re the motorway access and the impact of the residential expansion planned for Warkworth, and its possible effect on a Puhoi on/off ramp. H Everts stated that any plan would be open for public comment.

 

Revised Unitary Plan Feedback

 

The email circulated 11 February 2014 by H Everts was discussed at this point in the meeting to enable B Houlbrooke to attend prior to an early departure. Planners need to be conscientious and careful to recognise the special character of Puhoi. Submissions are to be presented at the end of the month. S Tisdall spoke to the Sub-Precinct A concept.

 

There was general support for the following three proposals.

 

1. Heritage protection. Proposal: Both the former Convent School and the Convent should be included in the list of places of significant historical heritage value.

M: J Williams 2nd: H Everts

 

2. Neighbourhood Centre and Sub-precinct A: Proposal: It is up to property owners directly affected (especially the hotel and general store) to decide about the nature and worth of the newly-defined Neighbourhood Centre.

M: S Tisdall 2nd: T Koops

 

3. Zones. Proposal: The zone designation of the sports fields under Public Open Spaces – Conservation should be changed to Public Open Space – Sports and Recreation.

M: H Everts 2nd S Tisdall

 

4. Puhoi Precinct. Proposal: We strongly submit that the proposed Puhoi Precinct be abolished as confusing, divisive, and redundant. It adds nothing necessary or new. The two new zones outlined above, and the two-fold set of associated rules meet the aspirations of the community as expressed over many years and articulated in the Puhoi Structure Plan. M: H Everts 2nd: J Williams

Puhoi Business: Report presented and filed.

Centennial Hall: no report

Sports Club: no report

Rural Fire Force: Plans are with planners at present and progressing. It is hoped that a report will be available shortly. The PRFF will be available to complete the project of the seats in the Memorial Park.

Library: no report

Church & Cemetery: Three funerals in one day.

Farmers Market: Circulated by email. Very successful birthday celebrations Report filed.

Auckland Council Unitary Plan: Refer to General Business

Landcare: no report but see above under memorial Park

Historical Society: report presented and filed. K Warren, whose property would be next door to the proposed building, was advised that the land has not yet been secured and that any development would be with full consultation. J Simons asked about the Maori Development involvement in the future development of our area. S Tisdall spoke to his enquiry.

150th committee report: no report

 

GENERAL BUSINESS: “What do you want from the Forum”

 

D Hay proposed:

Meetings begin promptly at 7.30pm, ending at 9pm whenever possible.

Group Reports kept to a 2-3 minute limit where possible.

G Sorensen asked

That longer reports be submitted one week prior to the meeting in order that they could be included in the agenda. J Williams spoke to this proposal, stating that this would not always be practical.

S Tisdall proposed

That for safety reasons there should be a footpath to the Shrine. A Walkway/extension to the one in the park out to SH1.

Arrows on the road leading from the Cheese Factory to Ahuroa road to “remind” tourists. All these suggestions are to be included in a Forum review of infrastructure matters to be forwarded to Auckland Transport (AT) later this year.

M Bellham recommended a walkway/footpath from the Cheese Factory to the village, very dangerous for walkers at present. J Simons mentioned that T Sampson and A Dunn had completed a feasibility study on this proposal a number of years ago.

G Sorensen to follow up.

H Everts proposed the following:

Apply for community funding from Auckland Council

Continue to develop the Park (In progress)

Develop a brochure about the Forum and its member organisations (T Koops- in progress) with distribution of the brochure to locals, especially newcomers.

Invite people and organisations that cluster around similar themes to present ideas and issues at a meeting, e.g. youth, ecological issues, promoting Puhoi

Continue to push for infrastructure development

 

Northern Action Group

L Mitchell gave a brief update on the NAG and referred people to the website NAG.com

Refer to latest edition of Mahurangi Matters.

There was a Local Government Commission meeting two weeks ago.

Araparera – there has been no accountability to the ratepayers from the Trust, re funding allocated to Rodney roading.

11th March 2014 public meeting to highlight the roading issues.

 

p) T Koops presented his report on the promotion of the Forum. Circulated. Submission to T Koops via email please for inclusion in the “welcome pack” which contains a PCF membership form. M Bellham suggested that we have a stall at the Farmers Market or similar event, to promote PCF.

 

 

 

MEETING CLOSED: 9.10 PM

NEXT MEETING: 25th March 2014

CHAIRMAN: D Hay

 

Approved by:

 

Minutes for Puhoi Community Forum: August 2013

COMMITTEE MEETING HELD AT PUHOI SPORTS CLUB

27th AUGUST 2013

CHAIRMAN – PETER STRAKA

PRESENT: C Hallett, P Manton, J Williams, M Townson, B Townson, D Brown, L Mitchell, T Koops, J Simons, A Cranna-Powell, S Titford, B Titford, P Endemann, J Turner, P Straka, S Tisdall, D Hay, R Nahi, G Sorensen

 

APOLOGIES: R Green, L Anderson, S Hackett, H Everts Moved: D Hay 2nd: J Williams

 

MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Minutes of previous meeting Moved: P Manton 2nd T Koops

 

MATTERS ARISING: Nil

 

CORRESPONDENCE IN: “Power of Communities” workshop with J Diers. Put on the website by Mike. D Hay attended this workshop and found it worthwhile. He thought that “enthusiasm is the key to a thriving community” was the message from this workshop.

B Townson accepted the invitation to speak at the Forum meeting.

 

CORRESPONDENCE OUT:

1. Invitation to Bill Townson of Northern Action Group (NAG) to address the Forum.

2. Email to Bill Scroggins suggesting that he contact local landowners re his election billboards.

3. Email to the following people/groups involved with the 150th celebrations expressing thanks and appreciation for work and effort:

 

Brendan Schollum

Sue Tisdall

Gillian Seymour

Jenny Neel

Bernadette Straka

Ruth Cunliffe

Phillippa Beagley

Bohemian Association of Puhoi/Ohaupo Descendants

Jenny Schollum

 

TREASURERS REPORT:Payment of $120.00 for secretarial services M: J Williams 2nd: D Hay

 

Invited Speaker Bill Townson from Northern Action Group (NAG @ www.nag.org.nz) presented the group’s plan to form a North Rodney Unitary Council to the Puhoi Community Forum. L Mitchell added the financial details. Polling, for or against the proposal (which is fully described on the website) can be done online or by filling out a voting form at the Puhoi Store or Puhoi Pub.

L Mitchell (094220598) is happy to discuss all aspects of the plan and its likely effect upon Puhoi locals.

J Simons asked what would be the NAG share of the debt currently payable by Auckland Council. J Williams queried the level of enthusiasm within Puhoi for joining with NAG. D Brown spoke to the proposal.

 

P Straka thanked B Townson and L Mitchell for taking time to speak to the Forum meeting.

 

GROUP REPORTS:

  1. Local Board: J Turner stated the footpath and bridge is still under consideration. Yards are not yet built, which means that any cattle cannot be moved at present. It is important to refer all correspondence to Melissa Jack. There being one more meeting for this term of office Mrs Turner expressed how much she had enjoyed her involvement with the Forum and hoped to do so in the future. P Straka thanked Mrs Turner for all her work to date. J Turner thanked the Titfords for their commitment to the community.
  2. Memorial Park: Stockyards not built as yet so not possible to move stock at present.
  3. Motorway access: J Simons spoke to the proposed ramps/toll question
  4. Puhoi Business Group: website has been updated and the launch will happen shortly
  5. Hall Committee: no report
  6. Sports Club: field closed as it is not useable at present due to water issues
  7. Rural Fire Force: D Hay presented comprehensive report (on file).
  8. 150th Committee: Meeting to wind up on 29th August 2013 and settle all relevant matters.
  9. Library: No report
  10. Church: No report
  11. Farmers Market: very quiet
  12. Puhoi Structure Plan: No report
  13. Landcare: final planting day 1 September 10 AM
  14. Advisory Committee: Covered in (a) above. Lease agreement is under discussion.
  15. Historical Society: S Tisdall has attended workshops with Te Papa for ongoing knowledge, also attending Regional Museum meeting etc and the Northern Museums. Waiting to hear from the advisory board or council re the site for a new museum. 29th September meeting to wind up the 150th organisation. Cake stalls, raffles, dancing etc to fundraise for our new building. There will also be a large raffle announced shortly to fundraise for the new building. 27th October an Art and Craft Market in the hall with a high tea, again fundraising for the building. Phone Sue 4220183 or me.hungrycreek@clear.net.nz for more information.

 

GENERAL BUSINESS:

A Cranna-Powell gave a brief summary of the challenges involved with the SEA’s as outlined in the proposed Unitary Plan. There is a review process in place.

P Manton spoke to the lack of hitching rails for those riding horses into the village. He is happy to install posts in the river park stock yards for those wishing to “park” their horses. Roads are very busy at present and he queried the possibility of erecting signs advising horses/stock movement on Ahuroa and Krippner Roads. Contact within the Council is Auckland Transport. J Turner to forward any emails to those responsible for signage.

D Hay to collate traffic incident information, i.e. number plates, dates, at derekya@xtra.co.nz.

 

MEETING CLOSED: 9.15PM

NEXT MEETING: 24th September 2013

CHAIRMAN: Hans Everts

 

Minutes for Puhoi Community Forum: January 2014

MINUTES FOR THE PUHOI COMMUNITY FORUM

PO Box 404199 PUHOI

COMMITTEE MEETING HELD AT PUHOI SPORTS CLUB

Tuesday 28 January 2014

CHAIRMAN – Hans Everts

PRESENT: M Hayton, G Driver, M Bellham, S Buckley, P Manton, G Sayers (RLB), J Williams, P Cooley, B Cooley, H Darnell, R Green, B Houlbrooke (RLB), T Koops, P Straka, D Hay, H Everts (Chair), G Sorensen

APOLOGIES: S Hackett, B Titford

MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Presented and accepted. Moved S Tisdall 2nd: P Straka

MATTERS ARISING: Nil

CORRESPONDENCE IN:

T Koops presented the work that has been done to date in order to promote the PCF.

Family violence Invitation – circulated

S Hackett – circulated, please disregard the latter part of the letter as it was included in error.

Adrian Anderson on promoting Puhoi; to be addressed at the Forum meeting in February.

CORRESPONDENCE OUT:

Letter to Russell Green regarding the installation of memorial seats in the Park

TREASURERS REPORT: Presented and accepted Moved: D Hay, 2nd: T Koops

H Everts spoke to the financial position of the Forum, reiterating that the honorarium will no longer apply to the secretary’s role. A $5 subscription was proposed for membership of PCF for the remainder of the year. H Everts spoke to the group re the function of the PCF, its makeup and relationship to the broader community. P Manton further outlined to the meeting/newcomers the structure and purpose of the Forum.

GROUP REPORTS:

  1. Local Board: Both Beth Houlbrooke and Greg Sayers attended tonight’s meeting. Beth reported on: 1. Community consultation on the Atlas site. There is an Expo this Saturday at Mahurangi College Hall. 2. March 2 Expo at the Warkworth show grounds – vision for the future, the bigger picture. 3. There are a number of surveys on line at present, please support these. 4. There is a slip in the Park at present which is being attended to. 5. The footbridge and footpath are in the detailed design phase at present. 6. Draft Annual Plan has been presented – refer to Website for more detail. H. Darnell, library representative, says there is a copy available in the Puhoi Library for perusal.

  2. Puhoi Memorial Park: refer toemails as circulated. 1. Grazing Lease is being looked at at present. P Manton, P Straka, H Everts to follow up possible lessees. Currently water, yards, and sub-paddocks are all issues to be considered, together with gates and access. 2. H Everts spoke to PCF re the recently stolen timber. This timber has been replaced and the matter is now closed. Locks are to be replaced in the Park. 3. Weeds – Council has a certain responsibility for the maintenance and Bio security is currently looking at this issue. 4. Memorial seats- letter on file re their installation. T Koops developed the plan, R Green to oversee the installation, P Manton will also be involved in this project. 5. Mowing of track. This has not been done for some considerable time. The slip purportedly prevented the mower to complete this work. Under consideration.

  3. Park Advisory Committee: The AGM for this group was planned for 11/2/2014. Changes are at present being made by Auckland Council to the structure of this body. B Houlbrook to follow up. M Bellham asked about the new national walkway, specifically the notice at the top of the loop track; P Manton replied.

  4. Motorway: H Darnell addressed the community’s current involvement in addressing the Puhoi access ramps for the new motorway.

  5. Puhoi Business: S Tisdall noted that the AGM of Matakana Coast and Country is to be held on Monday 2/2/2014. J Williams spoke to the need for Puhoi businesses to be represented.

  6. Centennial Hall : No report

  7. Sports Club: Soccer tournament 7-14 February. Muster for soccer and netball.

  8. Rural Fire Force: R Green reinforced the need for permits for fires. January was quiet. There are 10 volunteers at present, and they are always looking for more. The new Ute has now arrived. The plans for the new station will be available at the Farmers Market in February. They hope to be in the new premises at the end of 2014.

  9. Library: H Darnell outlined plans for Waitangi Day, Valentine’s Day and Anzac Day displays in the library. The library is now able to draw on their own excellent resources to enable these displays.

  10. Church & Cemetery: P Straka noted that both are open for business

  11. Farmers Market: refer to circulated email from J Williams. She reported that there are a number of initiatives for the 6th birthday celebrations 23rd February 2014. Please support local.

  12. Auckland Council Unitary Plan: refer to General Business below

  13. Landcare: refer S Hackett circulated email. H Evertsreinforced the need for Landcare to be active in and supported by the local community.

  14. Historical Society: S Tisdall reported thatN Golding had worked diligently over the holidays for this organisation. Adrian Anderson’s letter addressed aspects of the plans for the new building. The Treaty of Waitangi has now to be considered in relation to land issues. S. Tisdall will keep us informed as to progress. Ongoing.

  15. 150th committee report: no report

  16. PCF promotion: T Koops presented a number of initiatives to promote the Forum. This is ongoing and will be presented at further PCF meetings.

GENERAL BUSINESS:

1. Auckland Unitary Plan and Puhoi.

H Everts presented this report. The Proposed Auckland Unitary Plan continues to incorporate the core features of our original Puhoi Structure Plan, and thus continues to be supported by the Forum. However, several specific matters need attention, including the need for the zone designation for the sports fields to be changed to Public Open Space – Sports and Recreation; for both the original convent and convent school to be included in the list of places of significant historical heritage value; for reference to Puhoi to be made in the list of precincts in the North area of Auckland; and for the property owners involved (especially of the Hotel and the General Store) to take responsibility for deciding whether they wish to be included in the newly defined Neighbourhood Centre area. There was discussion on our confusion regarding the designation of Puhoi under three different zones – the generic Rural and Coastal Settlement zone, the newly-defined Sub-Precinct A, and the newly-defined Neighbourhood Centre. It is the distinction between the first two of these that is most confusing. G Sayers spoke to the “precinct plan” concept. H Everts and J Simons are to arrange a meeting with Unitary Plan consultants as soon as possible, and report back to the Forum for further discussion at the next meeting.

MEETING CLOSED: 9.45 PM

NEXT MEETING: 25 February 2014

CHAIRMAN: P Straka

Approved by:

 

 

Puhoi Rural Fire Brigade Report: August 1013

25/08/2013
Puhoi Fire Brigade Report for the Forum Meeting.
The current workload is light, which seems to be consistent with most of the other rural brigades under the Auckland Council Rural Fire Authority. As with other years specialist training is in full swing during winter and is happening most weekends- 2 more crew have now done USAR (urban search and rescue) training to ‘Orange Card’ status- the highest a rural fire fighter can obtain- we now have 7 crew at that level. We certainly had a wary eye on the earthquakes in Wellington the other day!
We have been called out to land the Westpac helicopter a couple of times lately and it certainly is an impressive machine and its ability to save lives by getting patients to hospital in the quickest possible time is with out question. Any donations made to Westpac is very worthwhile.
We have also done some flooding calls and I have dealt with ‘smoke nuisance’ calls too- yes it is an open season for fires but the smoke from your fire is not allowed to become a nuisance to your neighbours- please have some consideration in regards to this.
Currently we have a crew of 11 and as always we would welcome any person, male or female,16 years and older to come along and  join- the main criteria is a pulse and a heartbeat and the ability to be able to respond to the station, at normal road speed and within the road rules, in around 5 minutes or less.
The Fire Station project continues with our Expressions of Interest to build a Fire Station generating 7 enquiries from various builders. Currently the Fire Station Committee is dealing with 4 of those builders in regards to design,etc. As it’s a moving target at this stage we haven’t got a fixed or finalized design to share with the community yet-but once we do settle on something then we will introduce it to the community for feedback. Clearly the Resource Consent and the Building Code dictate the majority of the design criteria. We hope to be building late this year or early next year.
We now have access to the property and the house at 52 Ahuroa Road so you will start to see some activity there.
The Council has asked that we advertise the house for removal, as well as the tin shed and so if anyone is interested in either one or both of them then please contact me. The water tank is for sale too.
And thanks heaps to Ross Tohlopf for mowing the section for us as we start to tidy it up.
Apparently there was some discussion at the last forum meeting re the ability for the Brigade to be fully functional without a water tanker at our station.
A tanker is a bonus but not a prerequisite to a fire brigade. As explained at an earlier forum meeting there were several reasons the tanker was not repaired and therefore removed from the station- age of tanker, repair costs, and strategic location to name a couple. Auckland Rural Fire consider Puhoi as not requiring one at this point in time and they make the rules and have the cheque book!!
Most brigade’s DON’T have tankers, Ahuroa, Kaukapakapa, Muriwai, Waitakere, Karekare to name a few fellow rural brigades. Warkworth, Wellsford, Helensville, to name a few NZ Fire Service Brigades. Our nearest tanker is Silverdale and then Matakana.
Our fire appliance carries 1300 litres of water and as we are always backed up by Silverdale or Warkworth then obviously their respective appliances carry water too. Any significant fire then a tanker would be responded in the first instance anyway. Every house in Puhoi has a water tank as well that we can access if need be.
So as much as we would have liked to keep our tanker, the decision wasn’t ours to make in the end ( Auckland Council fund us and all our vehicles) and we will adapt as need be to ensure we can continue to protect the community the best we can.
Further to the above,our existing Medical ute is about to be replaced with a much more modern ute that is equipped with a ‘Fire Fogger’ unit on the back so it has fire fighting capabilities as well as doubling for first response/medical purposes. This ‘Fire Fogger’ unit is the FIRST one in NZ and Puhoi is to get it so we are pretty excited about that- the new technology will allow us to put out fires with the minimum amount of water and the test video’s certainly look impressive in regards to that. We hope to get this by late October, so if anyone wants to buy our old 4wd,Mazda Bounty ute, one careful owner then let me know.( sorry lights and sirens will be removed!)
So until next time, stay safe and thank you for your support.
If you require the brigade then always ring 111 and ask for fire.
CFO Russell Green
021 655461
russell.green@capricorn.coop

The Power of Communities – a free workshop with Jim Diers: 22 August in Wellsford

On behalf of Rodney Local Board, you are invited to attend a free, interactive workshop with Jim Diers, an international presenter who has worked extensively with rural communities on community development.

Click Here for a flyer showing all the details     Please pass this on to the networks that would be interested and RSVP to Sue.dodds@aucklandcouncil.govt.nz by Friday 16 August if you want to attend.

Puhoi Community Forum Minutes July 2013

Po Box 404199 Puhoi
Committee Meeting Held At Puhoi Sports Club
Date 30th July 2013
Chairman – D Hay

PRESENT: S Tisdall, S Hackett, A Cranna-Powell, P Manton, J Turner, JR Williams, L Anderson, P Straka, J Simons, T Koops, B Titford, S Titford, T Schulz-Golland, N Atkinson, D Hay, H Everts, G Sorensen.
D Hay was not nominated to the Committee at the AGM.  Under Clause 10 of the constitution Committee vacancies can be filled when necessary and D Hay was therefore nominated by
P Straka and 2nd G Sorensen as an independent member.  All agreed.
APOLOGIES:  R Cunliffe, P Endemann, R Green
MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Circulated. Moved P Straka   2nd S Tisdall
MATTERS ARISING: Hanging wire: The hanging wire was on Puhoi Rd, not Ahuroa Rd.
Footpath between Bridge and Library should read “drain” not “creek” on boundary between Puhoi Store and P Straka.
CORRESPONDENCE IN:
1.  NAG: presentation to be given in August 27th meeting
2. Draft Unitary Plan: acknowledgement of Forum submission.
3. SEA workshop
4. B Scroggins requests permission to erect election billboard on private land. D Hay to respond.
5. Speeding through the village. H Everts
6. Horse riding in PM Park.
CORRESPONDENCE OUT:
TREASURERS REPORT: Proposed payment of $23.30 to G. Sorensen for stationery. 2nd D Hay
GROUP REPORTS:
a) Local Board. J Turner reported that applications for the present round of Council funding for Community projects can be done on line until 12th August 2013.  The allocation of funds for traffic management would be an appropriate purpose.  Refer to K Hammond.
b) Puhoi Memorial Park:  Arthur Dunn Memorial seat.  T Koops researched project and presented illustrations.  2 seats have been purchased by Val Dunn and will be positioned September/October 2013. D. Hancock of Auckland Council offered to liaise with Auckland Council if requested to do so by PCF.
c) Park Advisory Committee: Will meet in August, TBC.  D. Hay to attend
d) Motorway: The presentation of the route shown at the Farmers Market indicated an off-ramp going north and an on-ramp going south for local use.  J Simons advised that final agreement was still some way off.
e) Puhoi Business Group: This group meets under the Matakana Coast and Country umbrella.
    Next meeting August 2nd.  J Turner congratulated S Tisdall for initiative to date.
f) Centennial Hall: No report
g) Sports Club: Reports 3 games played so far on newly drained grounds.  Centre of ground is still very boggy.  J Turner to follow up.
h) Puhoi Rural Fire Force (PRFF): J Williams queried the fact that the local force no longer have a water tanker and was advised that the fire trucks carry their own water.
i) Library: AGM on Tuesday, 13th August 7pm.  The Centennial celebrations will include photographic display.  Any photos loaned would be greatly appreciated.
j) Church and Cemetery: Two funerals this week. No report
k) Farmers market: More volunteers would be welcomed.
l) Auckland Council Unitary Plan: Nothing to report
m) Landcare: Planting day well supported.  Further day planned 1 September 10 am. J Williams to promote through community newsletter. Bio security team visit was positive.
n) Historical Society: ongoing need for a community notice board tabled. Suitable site is ongoing discussion.
o) 150th celebrations.  AGM August 31st 2013 to wind up.  Finances to be distributed at that meeting.  D Hay will write letters to thank all community groups involved in the celebrations.
GENERAL BUSINESS:
1.  Horse riding in the Park.
In reply to correspondence received and after discussion, Park Management Plan Clause 14, should be changed to read as follows:
“…and that access to paddocks where stock are being grazed at any one time is not permitted during lambing, and that at all other times dogs are leashed and horses are under control when on paddocks that are being grazed”.
R Tolhopf is happy with this change.  Horse riding group’s letter of June 12th 2013 can therefore be answered as follows:
# Access to all parts of the Park is fine, except for paddocks where lambing is in progress.  I also suggested to Maree that horses not use the loop walking track.
#The flat land adjacent to the yards is available for training horses, provided that equipment used is stored in or adjacent to the shelter when not in actual use.
# That mutually-beneficial projects be undertaken as appropriate.
Moved that the Forum formally accept this change in the Grazing Licence, and the agreement between horse riding group and Forum be accepted.
Moved H Everts 2nd J Williams
2.  Speeding through the village.
H. Everts correspondence as circulated. A number of solutions were proposed, including speed bumps, S Bends and crossings.  There is a need for a “Critical Information Report” which involves the installation of speed counters to ascertain traffic flow and speed before any further action can be taken.  D Hay to collate reports on time, date and registration numbers of cars/trucks involved in traffic incidents.
MEETING CLOSED:  9.25 pm
NEXT MEETING:        27th August
CHAIRMAN: P Straka

Community Forum Meeting June 2013: Minutes

MINUTES OF COMMITTEE MEETING HELD AT PUHOI SPORTS CLUB

24th June 2013 at 7.45pm.
CHAIR – HANS EVERTS

PRESENT: R Green, B & S Titford, G Sorensen, B & B Marcroft, P Straka, J Williams,
H Everts, S Tisdall, R Cunliffe, G Murphy, M Swain, J Neel, T Koops, R Hern, J Dahl,
P Manton, M Drury, P Beecroft, A Cranna-Powell.

APOLOGIES: J Turner, D Hay

MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Minutes were confirmed. (S Tisdall, R Green)

MATTERS ARISING:
Website: Mike Swain reported 278 [Errata: over 4000 -Mike] visits in May. The website will be linked to Facebook. Any further groups who wish to be included should send an email to Mike for their inclusion.

Traffic Safety: Julie Woods looked at the recently-completed traffic marking. She advised that the police should be the first port of call re speeding and safety-related matters within the village.

Hanging wire: The one at the end of Krippner Road was revealed to be a Telecom wire that has now been tightened and repaired.

CORRESPONDENCE IN/OUT: as circulated by email.

TREASURERS REPORT: Tabled as per AGM

GROUP REPORTS:
H Everts asked for each Group representative to share with the Committee one initiative of the Group during the coming year that they would like the Forum to know about, plus one initiative that they (the Group) would like the Forum to undertake. This will help the Forum to shape the Agenda for the next 12 months.

a) Local Board: no report
b) Historical Society: S Tisdall reported that they had been working very hard on getting the Museum ready for an influx of visitors this weekend for the 150th celebrations, as well as getting information up to date in the records room. There will be a sales area in the playgroup room, accessed through the Museum this weekend (no eftpos). The museum will be open 6am on Friday morning to accommodate the Breakast Show. If you need to get warm I will be making tea/coffee plus a biscuit at $1 a cup towards the building fund. We are running two raffles – funds to go towards the new Museum. Drawn 30/6/13 at the end of the afternoon. Any help with this venture would be appreciated. We are still looking for a suitable site within the village. On Sunday after Mass at 9.30am the old school bell, which has recently been returned to Puhoi, will be rung by a descendant (Kelvin Schedewy). Everyone is welcome to gather around to acknowledge the settlers and to unveil the new plaque’s honouring Maori, Capt Krippner’s input, and the families who first came. Prayers and a wreath will be laid, then another descendant (Margaret Hosting nee Bayer) will place the time capsule, for future generations to open, providing a window on the past. The capsule will contain a number of things pertinent to the current celebrations and put next to the 1988 capsule. Initiative – looking to the Forum for ongoing support in finding the Museum a new home.
c) Memorial Park: see General Business
d) Community Hall: The working bee was attended by committee members. The roof will need repair this year. The usual fundraising events are scheduled, e.g. concert.
e) Sports Club: Simon is standing down as President but remaining as coach.
f) Rural Fire Force: Numbers are down to 11. There will be fundraising for the new Fire Station. No initiative is presented at this stage as the building is initiative in itself.
g) Community Response/neighbourhood watch: no report.
h) Puhoi horse riding group: see General Business
i) Library: Lynette Anderson will be the contact representative, although this will be a rotating role. The centenary of the building is coming up in August 2013. A photographic display is planned. A wine and cheese evening will be for invited guests only with regard to the size of the library. The committee wants to commemorate the supporters of the library by the placing of a memorial seat outside the library, the difficulty being that this would have to be placed within the 10 meter boundary. The initiative requested would be support from the Forum for the placement of the seat on the river bank.
j) Church & Cemetery: Refurbishments are now completed and ready for the 150th celebrations. There is a funeral on Friday which may pose traffic issues to coincide with the village celebrations. No initiative as such to report.
k) Farmers Market: Would like to have the market well supported each month. An initiative would be the “Local Nationalities” event recently held so successfully to become an annual event.
l) Waiwera Valley Assoc: Rock and Roll dance 14th or 21st of September. Open to all. This will put on the website. H Everts welcomed the WVA to the Forum.
m) Business group: Sue Tisdall reported that the Matakana Coast & Country initiative over the past six months has seen a lot of work in the background. A lot of time and effort is going into the building of a comprehensive website that will take people into the areas they want to visit and take a close look, yet still be able to look around the whole area of Waiwera to Te Hana. They are working on branding for the region to keep it uniform and focusing on the five senses … See …Smell…Taste…Hear…Touch. What to do, what to see, visit, how the look and feel etc. So it is quite involved to make it work for the whole region. In mid July she hopes to get together interested business people, big and small, in the Puhoi/Waiwera area for a networking opportunity and also to introduce them to the work the executive committee has been doing.
n) Structure Plan: Matters are in abeyance until the Draft Auckland Plan returns for formal consideration in September.
o) Landcare: Planting Day was well attended. The exercise was a good one and Peter Straka’s tractor was very much appreciated. The Bio security people are being kept informed.
p) Advisory Board: The next meeting will be held in August.
q) Logging on Krippner Rd: All is Quiet on the Western Front.
r) 150th Celebrations committee: Judith has been very helpful in keeping us all informed. The Disco has until 6pm 25/6/13 to muster the numbers, otherwise this event will be cancelled. Hans put the following motion: “The Puhoi Community Forum expresses its gratitude to those whose dedicated work over many months has made the Sesquicentennial Celebrations possible. We wish the Planning Committee and all participating organisations and individuals (both Bohemian descendants and others) a very satisfying and successful weekend of celebration”. Seconded: S Tisdall, passed.
s) Motorway Access: John Simons reported a reference item in NZ Herald June 20 2013 concerning the effects of earthworks on Puhoi scenic reserve presented by Auckland Council. This report appears to be based on wrong information. This matter is ongoing and he will report on any developments.

GENERAL BUSINESS:
Memorial Park and horse riding: For a background report, see email from Hans, dated 21.6.13. During discussion, the following points were raised:
We need to accommodate a range of Park users.
R. Green urged the Forum not to be too bound by formal rules in developing Park use. P Manton urged at the same time that previous uses of the Park should not be lost by the lack of a formal agreement, especially since it is getting more difficult to ride on the road verge, which has led to the need for a designated riding area.
The current lease is between the Forum and Council, and between the Forum and the sublessee.
R Hern acknowledged that R Tolhopf has rior rights as the sublessee, but thought that he would be flexible in accommodating horse riders.
The Management Plan, as a Council documents, outlines the specific structure concerning the multiple uses of the River Park. H Everts will circulate the Management Plan and a copy of the current leases.
Further discussion needs to take place on how this all fits together.
It is particularly important that we are seen to be using the Park – a “use it or lose it”.

Yards: The weather has delayed the building of the yards. The estimated cost is $3461+GST. There is no facility at present for the loading of cattle. 18 month old cattle have time constraints to be off the land.

Tracks and Trails: see email noted above.

Judith Williams promoted her book and invited all to the launch this weekend.

Footpath between bridge and library: John Simons noted that there is a drain that runs under the road that picks up water from the creek on the boundary between the Puhoi Store and Peter Straka which discharges into Puhoi River, just beyond the library. Some 15 years ago the contours and the subsidence similar to the present situation was reported to council (RDC).
At that time rocks were placed next to the outfall, and earth fill used to level off the grassed area. The inlet pipe is partially blocked and surface water may well be percolating alongside the pipe to the river and contributing to collapse of the river bank and the resulting subsidence. Note fibre optic cable manhole placed so as to avoid this subsidence.

MEETING CLOSED: 9PM

NEXT MEETING: Tuesday July 30th.
CHAIRMAN: Derek Hay

Puhoi Rural Force Force May Report

28/05/2013 Report for the Forum.

 firebrigade-large

The brigade has been quiet of late with just medicals being our mainstay. It always amazes me just how often there is not an ambulance readily available from Warkworth or Silverdale and we get responded whilst one is sent up from town or Wellsford. That said it is something we do willingly for the community and are lucky to have 4 St John Ambulance personnel in our brigade to help perform these duties.

Members of the Puhoi Brigade spent many hours at the 3 big fires the region had this year- Gt Barrier, Tapora and Matakana, and gained some fantastic fire ground knowledge and skills during this time. All reports from the fire ground bosses were that our members were a credit to the brigade. Well done!

Obviously the Fire Season is now well and truly over. As we are all now part of the large Auckland Fire District we in Rodney had to wait for other areas of Auckland to get rain so the whole area could be changed to an open season- which is why it took so long even though Puhoi was very damp indeed.

Please remember that even though it is an open season for fires there is a provision in the clean air act regarding smoke and if we are called out to a fire that has a smoke nuisance element to it we have to extinguish it. Oh and don’t put your hot ashes in a plastic bucket either, especially on a wooden deck!!!

Unfortunately age gets the better of some things and our tanker has succumbed to old age and wear and tear. The engine has given up. The Council in its wisdom has deemed that Puhoi shall no longer have a tanker much to the brigade’s disappointment and will not be repairing it. However the Brigade will be getting a newer ute to replace our own one and it with have some special fire fighting apparatus on it- a first in NZ apparently- so we are looking forward to this and what it can do.

Of most importance is the issuing of the Resource Consent to allow us to build our Fire Station at 52 Ahuroa Rd.

Although the process was lengthy and sometimes moving at a glacial pace I am comfortable that it was fair process and allowed the affected parties to share their concerns and have them considered. The hearing was before two commissioners who had visited the site and were fully aware of Puhoi’s uniqueness. All parties acted with integrity and I thank them for that. The consent has come with some restrictions which we have fully agreed with in the interests of preserving the neighbours privacy. In fact the brigade requested of the commissioners that some usage was removed from the application as we could see that it was infringing on the neighbours rights and we felt it important to prioritise that.

So now that we have the resource consent we need to get some plans drawn up and approved then off to the funders for some money we go. Our best gestimate at this stage is we will need to raise another $300,000 to complete the station, which will probably be about $600,000 in total. Obviously these figures will be able to be verified once plans,etc have been agreed and finalised. We are now requesting letters of interest from contractors or professionals that can help us in the design, plan, build of the Station.

The Brigade will have a display at the June Farmers Market for people to come and view a mock up of a draft design of the station to get feedback and ideas from the community, that we can incorporate in the final design. We are hoping to get some tangible progress by the end of the year.

The brigade is also looking for new volunteers ( or even some of the oldtimers to come back! ) so please contact myself or Rob Beardmore if you are interested. The main prerequisite is to live or work close enough to the station so you can respond within 4 minutes.

So, keep yourself safe, report any incidents to 111 and thanks for your support.

Russell Green

Chief Fire Officer

Puhoi.

021 655461

1 15 16 17 18