Puhoi Forum Meeting Minutes: 23rd February 2016

MINUTES OF THE PUHOI FORUM COMMUNITY MEETING

HELD AT PUHOI SPORTS CLUB ON 23 FEBRUARY 2016 commencing at 7.30pm

PRESENT: Dustyn O’Leary (Chair), Larry Mitchell (Co-Chair) Peter Straka (Deputy Chair), Pat Backley, Graham Backley, Beth Houlbrooke, Kathy Mankelow, Sorrell O’Leary, Terri Ryder, Jenny Schollum, John Simons, Martyn Smith, Alan Wagstaff, Judith Williams, Peter Cooley, Bev Cooley, Ginny Page, Clinton McLean, Mike Swain, Jenny Neel, Kristin Gillies, Sandra Beagley (Minutes)

APOLOGIES:

Chris Mundell, Gillian Seymour and Terri Ryder notified that she will be in later.

WELCOME

Dustyn welcomed members to the meeting.

  1. MINUTES OF MEETING 26 JANUARY 2016

(Ginny Page stated that her apologies for this meeting were not recorded)

Motion 1

That the minutes of the meeting held on 26 January 2016 with the addition of apologies for Ginny Page, be accepted as a true and accurate record.

Moved: Dustyn O’Leary

Seconded: Peter Straka

Carried

  1. CORRESPONDENCE IN/OUT

  1. Carol & Derek Hayes made contact with the Forum regarding their concern over Motorbike riders using the Puhoi Peoples Park.

  1. Sorrell commented on dog poo in the park.

Peter Straka stated there is a notice with conditions on the entrance gate.

Beth Houlbrooke suggested that Jeff Lyford, Council Parks Department be contacted re bylaws pertaining to these issues. Judith Williams is to include ‘Use of Park’rules in next Puhoi Newsletter. ACTIONJudith Williams

  1. Peter Straka is to send a letter of thanks to Mark Dunn for all his battening work along the People’s Park Walkway. ACTION – Peter Straka

  1. Dustyn O’Leary has emailed Sebastian Reid re Traffic concerns at the Puhoi Road junction with SH1 but as yet has had no response. She will contact him again.

ACTION – Dustyn O’Leary

  1. TREASURER’S REPORT – Jenny Schollum

Jenny had already circulated the financial reports for January 2016.

Motion 2

That the sum of $30 be paid for meeting administration work done.

Moved: Judith Williams

Seconded: Dustin O’Leary

Carried

Motion 3

That an invoice for 2 boxes of Staples costing $170 be paid.

Moved: Judith Williams

Seconded: Sorrell O’Leary

Carried

The financial reports for January 2016 were approved and accepted.

The Treasurer reported that the $11,750.43 grant money is currently in the Cheque account and suggested it be moved to a Term Deposit.

Motion 4

That 2 amounts of $5,000 be transferred to 2 x Term Deposits.

Moved: Larry Mitchell

Seconded: Dustin O’Leary

Carried

Ginny Page expressed concern that this grant money has not yet been used.

Hans Everts is still an Account signatory. Jenny Schollum is to bring a bank form to the next Forum meeting so that a new signatory can be chosen.

.

GENERAL BUSINESS

1 Proposal regarding the Forum’ meeting structure

Dustin added a few more Puhoi Community groups to the list in the proposal.

A discussion followed regarding the setting up of a Pest & Weed Management Group (including Bill Marcroft) and a Motorway & Road Safety Liaison Group.

Motion 5

Sorrell recorded

Moved: Sorrell O’Leary

Seconded: Judith Williams

Carried

Sorrell has offered to liaise with Nick about putting a Sandwich Board outside the Store with Puhoi Forum information on it. Also to add at the end – “Are you receiving communication from the Puhoi Forum? If not email………….”ACTION – Sorrell O’Leary

Dustin proposed that 15 minutes of Forum time each month be set aside for Community group reports as was once the case.

  1. Business groups proposal for integration with the Forum

Kathy Mankelow suggested inviting Business groups to attend Forum meetings.

Following a lengthy discussion and clarification, Beth Houlbrooke suggested formalizing Business membership at the Forum’s June AGM.

Peter Cooley suggested using part of the first paragraph wording of the proposal written by Kathy and Dustyn as a motion.

Motion 6

That the Puhoi Forum encourage local businesses and individuals to become active Forum members envisaging a more effective representation both of and from the Puhoi Community.

Moved: Peter Cooley

Seconded: Dustin O’Leary

Carried

3 Te Muri development submission proposal

After a small change to the wording, it was agreed that this proposal be put forward in time for the 18th March deadline.

Judith Williams is to send an e copy to the Mahurangi Action Group.

ACTIONJudith Williams

4 Other Business

Ginny Page asked that as a paid up member of the Puhoi Forum, she be emailed an Agenda.

She also suggested that a formal list of Puhoi email addresses be gathered so that the wider Community has an opportunity to respond to issues.

5 Reports

Jenny Schollum – Puhoi Historical Society

  • 6th March – celebration for Liverpool descendants

  • 27th March visit from Egerlanders group

  • 25th April ANZAC ceremony. This year a Year 8 Children’s speech competition will be held and the winning speech read.

  • Puhoi cemetery ongoing issue with Coucnil – PHS seeking to retain the Heritage Part for Bohemian descendants only.

  • Trees still waiting to be moed to the Puhoi River Park.

  • Another raffle to be launched which will be drawn in May.

Judith Williams – Puhoi Farmers Market

  • This Sunday is the Market’s 8th birthday

  • A tomato competition will be held

  • 2 grants will be presented to Community Groups at 11am

Kathy Mankelow – Puhoi Hall Report.

  • Roof over the toilets has been replaced.

Finally, Beth Houlbrooke brought to the meeting’s attention two public consultations to be held in March.

1 – Transport for future growth (drop in) 3.30 – 7.30 Tuesday 1st March at the Masocinic Hall, Warkworth.

2 Annual Plan – (proposed spending of funds)– 6.30 – 8.30 – Tuesday 8th March at the Masonic Hall, Warkworth.

Larry Mitchell and Dustyn O’Leart to attend

NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 29 March at 7.30pm in the Sports Hall.

The meeting closed at 9.30pm.

Have you done yours yet?

Just a reminder that you have until 4pm on Friday 18 March, 2016 to make your submission on the draft variation to the Regional Parks Management Plan . The Puhoi Forum has made a collective  submission reflecting the views of those present. I’d urge everyone in the village to think about this, and make their own submissions, as it is has exciting possibilities for the future of the village. I’ve posted my two penn’th here.

 

PUHOI COMMUNITY FORUM

MEETING TO BE HELD ON TUESDAY 23 FEBRUARY 2016 AT 7.30PM AT THE PUHOI SPORTS CLUB – CHAIRPERSON – DUSTYN O’LEARY

AGENDA

1. Confirmation of the minutes of previous meeting held on 26 January 2016.

2. Matters arising from those minutes (not appearing on this agenda).

3. Correspondence in/out.

4. Treasurer’s report (if required).

5. Reporting from Special Interest Groups (should a representative be present).

GENERAL BUSINESS

1. Proposal regarding the forum’s meeting structure (see attached document).

2. Business groups proposal for integration with the forum (see attached document).

3. Te muri development submission proposal (see attached document).

Note: Please read the three attached documents in preparation for the meeting as there will be discussion and voting held based on these proposals.

4. Other matters arising from members or other meeting participants.

Please invite other residents and friends of Puhoi to attend – widen participation!

 

Forum Meeting Structure Proposal

At the last meeting of the Puhoi Community Forum members highlighted the following challenges facing the group due to the current running of meetings:

A. The full range of a group’s interests might not be proportionally addressed.

B. Agenda management might reflect leadership bias.

C. Insistent members might claim disproportionate meeting time.

D. Issues might arrive at meetings in a ‘raw’ state, i.e. unsupported by documents and research.
Suggestions for addressing these challenges:
1. Groups within the Forum should be more recognized as a having special interest separate from, yet connected to, forum general business. As written in constitution, we already have these groups but the formal reporting of their interests, progress and projects has waned and should be reinstated so that the Forum can help keep in better touch with community issues and agendas.
– More regular reporting from these groups would help us to support them in their goals and projects etc.

– Items of discussion from these groups should be put forward in the agenda as the group itself deems necessary.

– Dedicate 15mins max. in the regular schedule to general reporting from these groups, separate form items put forward in the agenda.
Current interest groups include:

Traffic Safety & Public Realm Development Group

Historical Society

Puhoi Pioneers Memorial Park

Business Group

Puhoi Fire Brigade

Landcare/Pest & Weed Management Group

Others?
Questions for discussion on this suggestion could include:

What constitutes a formal group?
Min number of people interested in a single issue/project?
Temporary groups formed to deal with a single issue versus ongoing issue or interest groups (such as those outlined above).
Forum movement required to form a group that reports back to the Forum on its activities?

2. Retaining flexibility and spontaneity in the meetings is crucial as this is what makes the Forum a democratic group. Open discussion and the ability to raise issues as they arise also encourages other community members to come and voice their concerns/opinions.
– Any person who attends a Forum meeting, or approaches the Forum in general, should be able to raise an issue and request action or support from the forum.

– A general show of interest/support for the issue could be called, and forward action decided upon.

– Issues that require further development should be allocated to interested parties for development.

– A formal proposal could then be presented to the forum for voting and further action. Proposals for discussion/approval should be sent to the Chairperson or Secretary for distribution with the next meeting agenda. This will enable people to read them prior to the meeting and enable more effective discussion and decision making to occur.
Please note that these suggestions are minor changes only and seek to give a little more structure to the running of meetings without imposing a rigid timetable. Any more significant changes to the actual structure of the forum and/or its running must be put forward as a formal proposal at the AGM (as written in the constitution).

 

PCF Forum Meeting Agenda: Tues 26th Jan – All Welcome!

PUHOI COMMUNITY FORUM

MEETING TO BE HELD ON TUESDAY 26 JANUARY 2016 at 7.30pm at THE PUHOI SPORTS CLUB – CHAIRPERSON – LARRY MITCHELL

AGENDA

  1. APOLOGIES

  1. PRESENTATION FROM RACHEL BLUNDELL – NZTA  (to be confirmed)

  1. CONFIRMATION OF THE MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

Held on 24 November 2015

  1. MATTERS ARISING FROM THOSE MINUTES (not appearing on this Agenda)

  1. CORRESPONDENCE IN/OUT

  1. TREASURER’S REPORT – see financial reports for November and December

(attached)

  1. GENERAL BUSINESS

  1. Update on submission to NZTA Grant application (Larry Mitchell)

  2. Update on River Walkway Planting and development work

  3. Maintenance issues on the bush walkway section of the Memorial Park (Dustyn O’Leary)

  4. Traffic – Puhoi junction with SH! (Jenny Schollum

NEXT MEETING

Please invite other residents and friends of Puhoi to attend – widen participation!

Puhoi: Party Town

The annual Puhoi Street Party, run by the Puhoi Community Forum, this year, will be back to the old site in the hall garden, on Thursday, December 10 at 6pm. This a bring -your- own- picnic- basket and get to know your new neighbours.
We can use the kitchen and the toilets or the whole hall if it is wet.  This is a free service to the community by the Hall Committee, and we are most grateful for this kind donation. There is a wedding the next day, so we just need to be sure the hall is left clean and in good order.
Kind regards
Wendy
Secretary

Puhoi Community Forum Minutes 24/11/2015

MINUTES OF THE PUHOI FORUM COMMUNITY MEETING

HELD AT PUHOI SPORTS CLUB ON 24 NOVEMBER 2015 commencing at 7.30pm

PRESENT: Dustyn O’Leary (Chair) Peter Straka (Deputy Chair), Larry Mitchell, (Co-Chair) Beth Houlbrooke, Sorrell O’Leary, Gavin Donaldson, Terri Ryder, Paul Manton, Jim Sephton, Ginny Page, Jenny Schollum, Sandra Beagley, Martin Smith, Alan Wagstaff, Judith Williams, Wendy Hayton (Minutes)

Apologies: Chris Mundell

WELCOME

Dustyn welcomed members to the meeting.

  1. PRESENTATION BY TRAVERSE LTD AND STRATANET re PUHOI INTERNET OPTION

Paul Fearon and Ryan Newman circulated information including photos of equipment and gave a brief overview of their position. Paul Fearon has bought land for subdivision development (former Tolphof family and Turnbull family land), and has found that Telecom is unable to provide a good internet service within the area of subdivision. Since Telecom are also unable to provide a service to many outlying areas of Puhoi, he, together with Ryan Newman of Stratanet, are proposing a wireless internet and VOIP system via a pole situated on the loop track above the River Park. Solar panels connected with the pole would be sited over the ridge to the north and therefore well away from the walking track and invisible from the village. The cost of providing the 4 metres high pole and the whole system would be delivered free of charge to Puhoi users. The pole would be able to provide high speed internet to those properties within line of sight of the pole. This would include the Puhoi valley and the Krippner Road valley. Stratanet is specializing in filling the gaps that Telecom and other national providers cannot fill. There are no health issues to wildlife or humans, and no other known environmental issues. Planting could be done around the concrete base of the pole.

It was agreed that Peter Straka will work with Beth Houlbrooke to understand what Council requirements there might be for such equipment to be installed in the Pioneer Memorial Park. Once these parameters are understood, Peter, together with the Co-Chairs will get back to the next Forum meeting. It was agreed that if there are Council processes which can allow the installation of the pole, there should be discussion in the wider Puhoi community, about this and other options for Puhoi’s internet delivery.

Action: Peter Straka

  1. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING 27.10.15

Motion 1

That the minutes of the previous meeting held on 27 October 2015 were confirmed as being a true and accurate record.

Moved: Peter Straka

Seconded: Paul Manton

Carried

  1. TREASURER’S REPORT (previously circulated)

This report was received and accepted.

The amount of $30 was approved to pay to the Secretary for meeting work for the month.

  1. KRIPPNER ROAD POPLARS

Dustyn with a number of other Committee Members from the Forum had met with the Council’s Stormwater Engineer and his supervisor. As had been suspected. The trees should not have been cut down. The Council representatives were most apologetic and offered to make amends by providing appropriate trees for replanting. A decision needs to be made between planting more poplars, or planting native trees. The existing poplars are likely to regenerate over time.

It was agreed that community input be sought via email (Dustyn to send out) and the Puhoi newsletter (Judith).

Action:Dustyn O’Leary

Judith Williams

Motion 2

That the local Puhoi community residents be consulted via email and newsletter to approve the

planting of either poplars or native tree species to replace the felled poplars in Krippner Road.

Moved: Paul Manton

Seconded: Jim Sephton

Carried

  1. NZTA FUNDING PROPOSAL

Jim Sephton declared a conflict of interest regarding this discussion and did not participate.

Larry Williams had drafted a proposal, which he outlined at the meeting. The purpose of this proposal to NZTA is to provide information to whichever of the 3 contractors wins the current contract to build the new motorway to Warkworth, regarding the impact of these building works on the Puhoi community, and its subsequent impact of having a motorway so close to the village over the coming years.

Larry had emphasized in the draft document the official status of the Puhoi Community Forum as an incorporated society with charitable status to put forward such a proposal. The proposal puts forward some suggestions as to what the community might consider to be a meaningful cornerstone project, which the successful contractor might like to fund. These might include new premises for the museum, a heritage model village, improvements/development of the Park. A number of other options were suggested such as a new Scout Hall, improvements to the existing Community Hall, beautification of the village etc. Some of Puhoi’s current much needed projects such as traffic safety can and should likely become Council projects in the future, rather than NZTA contractor projects. Within this proposal, the suggestions for such a cornerstone project need to be broad brush rather than specific, leaving the ability to discuss further detail, and for community input and consultation, once a successful contractor has been identified.

Motion 3

That a document goes forward to the NZTA expressing the Puhoi Community’s interest in terms of Section 601 ULDF requesting that bidders consider providing community funding in recognition of the impact of the motorway project on the Puhoi community. The Co-Chairpersons and the Deputy Chair are to liaise to finalise the current draft document and to ensure that it is submitted to the NZTA ahead of the Christmas 2015 deadline.

Moved: Larry Mitchell

Seconded: Peter Straka

Carried

  1. GENERAL BUSINESS

  1. Animals at risk from shotguns in the village

Terri Ryder’s young cat had been shot by persons unknown close to the village and had required to date $4000 worth of surgery. Judith is to alert the community to this destructive and potentially illegal behavior in the next newsletter.

Action: Judith Williams

  1. River Walkway Development update

Peter Straka reported that Hans had met with the Council representative who was very happy with the work carried out. There is one contour that needs to be changed. Peter will do this.

Action: Peter Straka

  1. Neighbourhood Picnic

It was agreed this should be held in the Community Hall on Thursday 10 December at 6pm. Judith Williams kindly volunteered to head up the organisation for this.

Action: Judith Williams

  1. New Farmers’ Market Manager required

Phillipa is stepping down after 8 years, for which the community is most grateful. The job has a small remuneration attached and is mainly involved with liaising with stallholders, attracting new stall holders, bookings, organising groups to play the music etc. Discussion took place as to whether or not it is possible for different organisations to organise the market on a rotational basis (such as the scouts etc) for fundraising purposes.

 

The Farmer’s Market also requires new committee members. Judith Williams requested that anyone interested in either position contact her by email.

 

  1. Dance Event 6pm Monday 14 December

Jenny Schollum reported that the final practice for the year of the Dance Group would be a public event to be held in the Community Hall on 14 December at 6pm. All are welcome.

 

  1. Business Group

The Puhoi Business Group is interested in coming under the umbrella of the Puhoi Community Forum to take advantage of better liaison with both the community and the Council. Dustyn and Larry are to contact Kathy and liaise as to how this will occur.

Action: Dustyn O’Leary

Larry Mitchell

 

  1. Village Traffic Safety Group

More Committee members are needed. Please email Jim Sephton.

  1. Shuttle bus (Commuter) Warkworth to Auckland City

This is a new privately run service which has recently commenced. Judith Williams is to put details of this in the next newsletter and Dustyn will circulate the information by email to the community at large.

Action: Judith Williams

Dustyn O’Leary

(ix) Events Health and Safety Presentation by Council

Judith Williams had attended a presentation on Events Safety given by the Council and

has a USB of the presentation to lend to interested members.

 

  1. Donation of Welcome to Puhoi brochures by Theo Koops and family

The community is very grateful for the Koops’ donation of Welcome to Puhoi brochures as their leaving gift. Dustyn is to write a note of thanks on behalf of the Forum.

Action: Dustyn O’Leary

  1. Neighbourhood Watch

Paul Manton reported that he had had non-identifiable pieces of shearing equipment stolen from his shed. It was agreed that especially coming up to Christmas the community needs to be aware of the need to lock doors and sheds against such unfortunate events.

 

NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 26 January 2016 at 7.30pm in the Sports Hall.

 

The meeting finished at 9pm.

 

Puhoi Forum Meeting Agenda – 24th Nov 2015

PUHOI COMMUNITY FORUM

MEETING TO BE HELD ON TUESDAY 24 NOVEMBER 2015 at 7.30pm at THE PUHOI SPORTS CLUB – CHAIRPERSON – DUSTYN O’LEARY

AGENDA

  1. APOLOGIES

  1. PRESENTATION FROM RACHEL BLUNDELL – NZTA 

  1. PRESENTATION FROM PAUL FEARON (TRAVERSE Ltd) re AN ALTERNATIVE TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICE FOR THE VILLAGE

  1. CONFIRMATION OF THE MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING Held on

27 October 2015

  1. MATTERS ARISING FROM THOSE MINUTES (not appearing on this Agenda)

  1. CORRESPONDENCE IN

CORRESPONDENCE OUT

  1. TREASURER’S REPORT

  1. KRIPPNER RD POPLARS – REVIEW MEETING WITH COUNCIL AND

DISCUSS MITIGATION ACTION

  1. NZTA GRANT APPLICATION – DISCUSS AND DECIDE ON A PRIORITY PROJECT FOR THIS APPLICATION

  1. OTHER REPORTS

Update on River Walkway Planting and development

GENERAL BUSINESS

  1. Neighbourhood picnic – first week of December and venue? – Judith Williams

  2. Farmers’ market – needs a new manager

  3. Newsletter/communications arrangements for January?

NEXT MEETINGDate and Chairperson to be agreed.

Please invite other residents and friends of Puhoi to attend – widen participation!

1 10 11 12 13 14 19