Historical Society AGM Report

At the Puhoi Historical Society AGM on May 14, Sue Tisdall was returned as president and Sheryll Titford and Jenny Schollum as secretary and treasurer, with Stephen Schedewy as a new addition to the committee. Many thanks to the society for all the hard and valuable work you always do – we note how it has stepped up vastly this sesquicentennial year.

As Hans Everts pointed out during the launch at the AGM of the publication Celebrating Puhoi, A Walking Guide to the Puhoi Historic Village and Its Bohemian Heritage, heritage was sacred and precious to the individual and the community, and it was timely to consider what our community would need in the next 10 to 20 years, and the Puhoi Historical Society’s place in this future. Hans especially mentioned the role of  Werner Fischer, who is now very ill, in the production of Celebrating Puhoi. The publication is on sale through the PHS for $10.

And at the same meeting Carole Hay and Priscilla Everts gave a foretaste of the art and photographic display being planned for the June 28-30 2013 in collaboration with the Puhoi Historical Society. The venture will see the Hall walls covered with historic photographs provided by the society, representing the Puhoi of the past, and that of the present represented by the two artists, who have combined their photographic, artistic and calligraphic talents for the anniversary

The meeting thanked them for their contribution in enhancing Puhoi’s sesquicentennial.

Art Meets History

At the Historical Society AGM Carole Hay and Priscilla Everts gave a foretaste of the art and photographic display being planned for the June 28-30 2013 in collaboration with the Puhoi Historical Society. The venture will see the Hall walls covered with historic photographs provided by the society, representing the Puhoi of the past, and that of the present represented by the two artists, who have combined their photographic, artistic and calligraphic talents for the anniversary. The sample of artistic styles, framing and combinations of media they showed was an exciting indication of the quality of the works to be displayed around the hall for the three-day anniversary, most of which are one-off, some of which will be for sale and some can be reprinted. Some of us were especially taken by a photographic view of our church surrounded painstakingly with the words and notation from the Egerlaender Volksingmesse -the Egerlaender Folk Mass – once performed there.  “A challenging collaboration between the skill of the photographer, artist and calligrapher by two assertive women, both full of ideas and the ability to work together,” was Priscilla and Carole’s description of their venture. The meeting thanked them for their contribution in enhancing Puhoi’s sesquicentennial.

Puhoi Community Forum Meeting Minutes April 2014

MINUTES FOR THE PUHOI COMMUNITY FORUM
PO Box 404199 PUHOI
COMMITTEE MEETING HELD AT PUHOI SPORTS CLUB
Tuesday 29 April 7 PM
CHAIRMAN – H Everts

PRESENT: H Everts, G Sorensen, S Tisdall, B Marcroft, H Beech, P Manton, H Darnell, S Rofe, F Endemann, K Balmer, B Houlbrooke (RLB),  G Driver, J Simons, D Newcombe (Waipora),
A Prospese-Smith, T Schulz-Golland, B Schegula, L Smith, M Hayton, R Straka, S Hackett, S Buckley, M Bellham, T Koops, B Titford, G Donaldson, C Power, D Dodsworth

APOLOGIES:  R Green, D Hay, P Straka, D Hicks

MINUTES OF LAST MEETING:          Moved:  P Manton    2nd: S Tisdall
Minutes of Special Meeting held 10 April     Moved: T Koops    2nd: P Manton

MATTERS ARISING:     J Simons pointed out that the membership fee is as stated in Minutes of 25/3/2014 a membership fee and therefore not tax deductable.  Under the definition of the Charities Commission only a donation is tax deductable.

CORRESPONDENCE IN:  B Houlbrooke, (RLB) re grazing lease. (filed)

CORRESPONDENCE OUT: H Everts to B Houlbrooke (RLB) re grazing lease (filed)

TREASURERS REPORT:  received         Moved: H Everts    2nd: P Manton

GROUP REPORTS: taken as read (circulated)
GENERAL BUSINESS:

Te Araroa Walk Reaches Puhoi
H Everts welcomed Rob Wakelin to the meeting to speak to the PCF about the Te Araroa Walkway, which has now reached Puhoi.  The walk begins at Remiger road, with a swing bridge and winds through to the village via the Memorial Park and onward to Wenderholm via the river and travels on.  Rob spoke to the wonderful asset we have in our village, and encouraged all Puhoi residents to get involved with the walkway, inviting locals to “get to know the tourists”.  120 people have already walked through so far, and a number of people have walked the entire track, or are planning to do so, a journey which would take approximately five months, and taking in the entire length of NZ.

Puhoi Pioneers memorial Park Reserve Development Plan (RDP)
A document “Summary of Information on Proposed Puhoi Pioneers Memorial Park Reserve Development Plan” was available for circulation at the meeting.
H Everts welcomed Rodney and Shelly to the meeting.  This proposed plan will guide the development of the Puhoi Pioneers Memorial Park (PPMP).  It is envisaged that the RDP will exist beneath the RMP but adopt the objective and polices of the Reserve Management Plan.  Goals and usage of the Park in conjunction with the Te Araroa Walkway, together with the roles of the various stakeholders in the park were discussed. It is proposed that the three members of the Landcare group who are experienced in environmental management, environmental education, ecological assessment, reserve planning and recreational planning will drive the preparation of the document in close liaison with the Puhoi Community Forum, Council and the Local community.

Landcare’s role will be to undertake the following:

Consultation with the community
Consultation with the Council
Consultation with parties with interest in the Park i.e. the grazing sub-licensee, Puhoi Community Forum, Te Araroa Walkway Trust, etc.
Fieldwork (fence line mapping (current/future), walkway mapping (current/future), weed surveys, vegetation surveys, faunal surveys.
Plan writing.

MEETING CLOSED:      8.30 PM
NEXT MEETING:          27th May 2014
CHAIRMAN:         P Straka

Approved by:

Puhoi Community Forum Meeting Minutes April 2013

  • PCF APRIL 30 2013 MINUTES 

    PRESENT: committee members Ruth Cunliffe, chairwoman, Hans Everts, co-chair, Sue Tisdall, treasurer, Judith Williams, acting secretary, Peter Straka, Fran Endemann; visitors Rodney Local Board member June Turner, Local Matters journalist Jannette Thompson, Sheryll and Brian Titford, John Simons, Simon Walters, Thorsten Golland, Priscilla Everts

     

    WELCOME AND APOLOGIES: welcomed Rodney Local Board member June Turner, Local Matters journalist Jannette Thompson, Sheryll and Brian Titford, John Simons, Simon Walters, Thorsten Golland, Priscilla Everts apologies Gay Murphy, Russell Green, Kelvin Schedewy

    New Puhoi Cottage Café owner Thorsten Golland described the vision which had led his family from Germany to Puhoi.

     

    APPROVAL OF MINUTES: moved Peter Straka, seconded Fran Endemann

     

    MATTERS ARISING FROM MINUTES: none

     

    CORRESPONDENCE IN: general rate report from Bruce Scoggins

     

    TREASURER’S REPORT: opening balance, $322.85, April 30 balance, $237.85, wharf account, $232.79, $183.33 banked in Puhoi River Park Account as payment from Ross Tolhopf.

    Correction: add $60 to March report balance

    Acceptance of report moved Judith Williams, seconded Hans Everts

    Approval of $30 payment to acting secretary moved Fran Endemann, seconded Peter Straka.

     

    CLUB AND OTHER REPORTS

    1. Rodney Local Board: In response to an earlier question by David Dodsworth RLB member June Turner reported the domain bridge strength was compliant, but a little filling needed to be done on one end.

    Astro turf funding for the Puhoi tennis courts had been requested by Sharon Hallett from the sports club. Action: June Turner to clarify whether the bridge weight posted on the bridge was correct.

     

    2. Puhoi Pioneers Memorial Park: Ross Tolhopf and Peter Straka had prepared a design for new stock yards on the park. Ross was ready to start on the building when the forum gave the go-ahead. Action: Peter, Hans and Ross to meet to push the matter ahead.

     

    3. Puhoi And Districts Motorway Action Group: no report

     

    4. Matakana Country and Coast Business Group: group representative Sue Tisdall pointed out that Waiwera came under the Puhoi business group umbrella.

     

    5. Hall Committee: AGM May 29. Judith Williams moved thanks to the hall for running the quiz evening, seconded Sue Tisdall.

     

    6. Sports Club: president Simon Walters reported the lodging of the tennis court surfacing funding application and the proposed reopening of the sports pitch around mid May and thanked June Turner for her support. Around 150 local people attended the recent very successful soccer away game.

     

    7. Library Group: $195 was made from the Anzac Day display for the RSA. The library group would contribute to the Puhoi 150th Anniversary celebrations between June 15 and 30.

     

    8. Church Properties and Cemetery: Peter Straka reported the church was ‘open for business’.

     

    9. Puhoi Farmers Market: (report by market representative Judith Williams was attached ) Priscilla Everts described the interest in their origins showed by visitors to the Dutch stall. Brian Titford suggested the market would be improved if it provided for people wanting breakfasts.

     

    10. Puhoi Landcare: Judith Williams described the landcare group offer to contribute to sesquicentennial celebrations with a June 23 commemorative community planting and to provide the 150th anniversary committee with trees if they wished to run a different event. Brian and Sheryll Titford would give a plaque for the planting. Brian advised people complaining of wasps on public land such as near the dray to contact Auckland Council, which had chemicals to deal with the underground nests. Action: Judith to liaise with 150th committee and Landcare over planting event

     

    11. Puhoi Historical Society: The AGM is May 15. Subscriptions would remain at ? and would be due on that date, chairwoman Sue Tisdall said.

     

    12. Puhoi Website: the website was proving a useful tool, the meeting was told.

     

    13. Puhoi Rural Fire Force: Resource Consent application results had been communicated to the affected parties. Action: PCF to access the results

     

    14. Puhoi 150th Anniversary (report by anniversary representative Judith Williams was attached)

     

    GENERAL BUSINESS

     

    a.unitary plan: comments by presentation attendees noted the lack of detail on rural areas, except for the impression gained from the SEAS discussion that they were ‘being locked up for the benefit and use of city dwellers’. John Simons pointed to the confusion created by apparently opposing treatment of some Puhoi heritage sites in the plan. Action. Hans Everts to further investigate relationship between Unitary Plan and Puhoi Structure Plan . Findings to be circulated to committee prior to next meeting for further discussion with view to Forum submitting feedback to Council by closing date of 31st May 5pm.

    b.farewell to Morag and John Standbrook: moved Judith Williams, seconded Sue Tisdall that the PCF acknowledge the contribution made to local community life by Morag, a former forum chairwoman and Puhoi River Park sub-committee member, on the occasion of their leaving Puhoi to live at Thames. Action: invite Morag and Jonathon to attend the May 28 forum meeting for a presentation of appreciation. Action: Sue and Judith to organise, forum members to contribute to expense.

    c.mail mix-up: moved Hans Everts, seconded Fran Endemann, that the forum support Mike Swain’s offer to collate cases of mail return-to-sender mix-ups to take to NZ Post. Action: Hans Everts, Gay Murphy and Ruth Cunliffe to take this up and Ruth to speak to Mike Swain and Nick Lodewyks.

    d.Saleyards Road sight lines and Stop sign: John Simons alerted to the difficulty of sighting traffic approaching from the right for motorists waiting at the Saleyards – Ahuroa Roads intersection Stop sign when large vehicles were parked there, because of the positioning of the yellow stop lines there. Action: John to approach Auckland Council to deal with the problem.

    e.AGM date and first 2013-2014 committee meeting: June 25 2013 Sports Club, 7pm. Subscriptions will be due on or before that date. Action: PCF officers to notify public 14 days in advance and arrange chairpersons’ and financial reports, subscription collection, nominations for independent committee members and letters of approval for club representatives.

     

    NEXT MEETING AND CHAIRPERSON: 7.30pm Sports Club, May 28, Hans Everts

     

    MEETING CLOSED: circa 9.45pm

     

     

     

We Know Who We Are

The Hall committee would like to thank everyone who came to the quiz night. I am sure those who came had a very enjoyable evening. The teams were quite evenly matched as there were only 10 points between the first and last team.
There were lots of raffles and prizes, and we would like to thank local businesses for their support. Puhoi Mustard makers, Puhoi Cheese Cafe, Puhoi library, New World Warkworth, Orewa Menswear, Dick Smith Orewa, Flowers by Joanne, Orewa Optics, Curves Orewa and Puhoi Canoes.
The Puhoi Hall belongs to all residents of Puhoi, which in turn means that we have to fundraise for money to pay for the maintenance and insurance etc. We have recently painted the inside and outside of the hall. Our next big expense will be a new roof.
Our AGM is Wednesday 29th May 7pm. Please think about coming to the meeting and joining the committee. It is a great way to meet the neighbours especially if you have recently moved into the district.
We are all so lucky to have such a beautiful community hall, please come and help us look after it.
Regards Val Smith

Giant Killers!

Congratulations to Clark, Tara and the Puhoi Property INDEPTH Wolfpack team
on an outstanding performance and victory in the ASB Chatham Cup on Anzac
Day. It was great to see such a big contingent from the club at the game and
a big thank you to everybody who turned out to support the lads. It helped
create a great atmosphere. A 2-1 victory over a side 4 divisions above them
was something they should be proud of. The next round of the cup is on May
11th, and we are really hoping for a home draw which would ideally coincide
with the Puhoi pitch being reopened. Thank you again to all of you for the
great support. It was exciting to see a Puhoi side play with such flairand
passion. For those of you who missed it, there will be another opportunity
on May 11th!

Cheers,
Simon

Puhoi Heritage Fruit and Nut Trees and Vegetable Library

May I introduce myself, Puhoi residents. My name is Julie-Anna Child and we live at the end of Green Hollows Rd. I’m an Agriculture New Zealand Go Organics student. Our group completes Level 3 qualifications this year and meets every Thursday at the Puhoi Hall. It has turned out to be a fabulous science based course. I’m hoping to set up a ‘library’ of local heritage fruit and nut trees and vegetables on an acre of North East facing hillside on our land.
Plants that have acclimatised to local conditions are a rare treasure in comparison to the plants we buy at nurseries which have often been grown in a completely different part of the country. These shop bought plants don’t always thrive in the soils and climate particular to our area. I have seen many lovely old fruiting trees by the roadside. Sometimes our local trees eventually disappear and I would like to grow examples to try to preserve some.
If you have a special fruit or nut tree or vegetable plant on your property you may be willing to give me a scion (a branch cutting i can graft onto root stock) a root or seeds. If so please email or call me. Cuttings need to be taken in late June – early July (and stored in a plastic bag with a moist tissue around the cut until they are grafted).
 Better still you might allow me to do an ‘air graft’ on your tree this July and then come back in Spring to take the grafted sapling away. I would be delighted to do two air grafts, one for you and one for me, that way you will also have a second young tree to plant . An air graft entails semi-cutting a branch, wrapping soil around the cut and then sealing this in plastic. This allows a food supply to the new tree and roots grow in the sealed soil. In 3 months time you cut the young sapling tree off the parent tree and plant it .
Obviously I would like to make the process as easy as possible for you. If you would prefer to post me branch cuttings in July or seeds any time just let me know your address and I will send you a stamped addressed A4 size envelope. If you would prefer me to collect cuttings and seeds or do airgrafts let me know. If any case please let me know your contact details, the cuttings/seeds story, the possible age of the tree, who planted it, what the fruit tastes like and is used for and what variety they might be. Delicious or medicinal fruit nuts and vegetables are obviously favoured.  I plan to share future scions and seeds freely with interested locals so let me know if you would like to be included.
Julie-Anna Child    021 373910    09 441 4941
mailing address: Julie-Anna Child and John Savage, Kauri Ridge, 152B Green Hollows Rd, RD1 Silverdale, 0994 Auckland.

Significant Issue

 
Tuesday evening’s Auckland Council Draft Unitary Plan presentation brought out about 40 people from Puhoi as well as Upper Waiwera and Mahurangi West. Andrew Cranna-Powell described the distress being caused to landowners such as himself by the proposed imposition of SEAs – Significant Ecological Areas -designations on rural properties, seemingly without consultation. AU planner and presenter Peter Vari agreed there might be a possibility of more debate on this issue if landowners got together and requested it. Andrew’s email is andrew@crannapowell.com
1 75 76 77 78