Puhoi 150th Celebrations DVD set

 

 

A limited number of the Puhoi 150th 2013 Anniversary Celebration DVD (2 discs) sets have been ordered by the Puhoi Historical Society & will be available @$40.00 from the 28th Sept via P.H.S./Museum or via the order form listed at the bottom of this page. They will be for sale at the Puhoi Centennial Hall on Sunday 29th September 10am-3pm. To the many families who have already ordered expect delivery of your DVD set in early October 2013.

 

The video DVD disc (9 videos) contains the official speeches, at 68 minutes running time it is really great and although I was in attendance it is amazing what one misses as I guess my mind was wandering on things to do (EFTPOS machine still not operating for example) and only partially listening. The other 8 short videos on this disc are just superb, the Feb re-enactment with a wonderful narrative by Brendan Schollum, TV1 breakfast via Mahurangi Matters, dancing, music, wood chopping and heaps of people you will no doubt recognise.

 

The photograph disc contains 1216 photos and having viewed all at least 20 times plus to ensure they are closeto being in the correct order, I have spotted various people each time since I first started that I hadn’t even realised they were part of the background in the photos. Whilst some photos are a little dark they will be okay and provide a wonderful record of the January – June 2013 Anniversary 150th celebrations. Please take your time viewing these as you will know several people and wonder how on earth they captured you or your relations in some of the photographs or videos without you realising. The first 100 photos show some samples from Jan-June then we start with Wood Chopping, Wenderholm picnic, landing Re-enactment/Wharf opening, Church and the big celebration weekend June 28-30 along with some old photographs mixed in to help you recall the past. I trust you enjoy as much as I have in helping bring this DVD set together with the following help.

 

Special thanks to Dale Farnsworth (videos/photos) of Production Plus Ltd who suggested this DVD concept, Shane Wenzlick of Phototek for numerous photos, Mahurangi Matters their breakfast video & photo contribution are fantastic, Puhoi Historical Society, Amego for the wood chopping and the various families who have all contributed photographs to be shared on this DVD set. Production of this Puhoi 150th anniversary DVD set would not have been possible without the amazing skills from Mike Fraser of Comm Media Ltd. Through everyone’s generosity all profits generated from this DVD project will go towards the Puhoi Historical Society/Museum new building fund.

 

Yours sincerely; Adrian Anderson; Committee member 150th celebrations 2013; Email; adrian.anderson100@gmail.com

Description Qty Price Total
DVD set Jan-June 150th Anniversary Celebrations 2013 $ 40.00
*Special* 150th Commemorative 2013 Booklet 2 for $20 $ 20.00
Name; Plus postage in NZ > $ 4.50
Address; Total order incl post
Telephone; ( )
Email address; Credit card, you can order from the shop page, see web site below >
Cheque; please post to Puhoi Historical Society P O Box 404 224 Puhoi 0951 www.puhoihistoricalsociety.org.nz
Direct credit, email for account & reference bohemiansettlersmuseum@gmail.com

Bootcamp: Get In Shape For Summer

Snells Beach Bootcamp is an outdoor fitness class for groups of men and women of all ages, shapes, sizes and fitness levels. During each 45-min session the aim is to challenge you in a fun and exhilarating environment. We use drills, circuits, many types of fitness techniques, equipment, teamwork and positive encouragement for you to feel worked, refreshed and see the weight-loss and fitness results fast.

Come and experience the fitness fun for yourselves with like-minded people.

Contact personal trainer Sophie on 09 425 6987 or 021 074 3042 or foodfitness@gmail.com

No gym, no fancy equipment, just results!

Bring a friend and get $5 off the price

Second Wind

It Takes A Whole Village – the people of Puhoi 1963-2013, has been reprinted and is available from the Puhoi Historical Society, the Puhoi Store, the Puhoi Hotel and the author, Judith Williams, 4220181, at a cost of $36, plus postage.

Jacki’s Back to Ease Our Pain

“Puhoi has been my home for over ten years and after working in Auckland during this time I have decided to establish a clinic in the local community. I am a qualified physiotherapist with a post graduate diploma in manipulative physiotherapy. I started my own physiotherapy practice in Titirangi in the early eighties, during which time as well as doing ‘hands on’ physiotherapy I was also the physiotherapist for a national league men’s basketball team.In the last ten years I have also been doing gym based rehabilitation for those clients who need to get physically fit in order to return to work following surgery, accidents or chronic pain.I am passionate about keeping physically fit doing the activities which I enjoy and I’m keen to help other people do the same.”
Jacki Piper Physiotherapist, open Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 2.30-5.30pm, phone 0800568621, email jacki@rehabwest.co.nz

New Museum Fundraising

“We have outgrown our museum and are looking for a new site in Puhoi,” writes Puhoi Historical Society president Sue Tisdall and the committee. “Twenty five years ago the church let us use one Convent School classroom, but in October 2012 our lease ran out. We are grateful to the church for allowing us to stay for 25 years. Now we need a better-equipped building and more room to house all our exhibits and keep them and the archives safe. Looking to the future we hope to be able to build a museum in Puhoi we as a community will be proud of. The Puhoi church property committee will allow us to stay in the convent school until we have secured a new site.”

Museum fundraising project group member Adrian Anderson informs that PHS Christmas Hamper Raffle tickets will be available from 25th September, this will offer 1st, 2nd & 3rd prize packaged and the tickets are limited to 900 @$5 each, drawn 11th December, still to be confirmed. Some of the items we have been able to secure are; New World Orewa $150 gift voucher, a Morris & James beautiful platter, BBQ, Meat voucher $50, Puhoi Cheese Vouchers for each prize pack, Chemz aerosol glass cleaner, Christmas tree & decorations, accommodation for two at Hungry Creek B&B valued @$150, 2 x Family vouchers for Waiwera Thermal Pools, Puhoi Canoe Hire voucher for two people, Stihl Warkworth $50 voucher, Puhoi Hotel voucher for Bohemian Pilsner Beer, Christmas Cake, Christmas Pudding, Christmas Bears battery operated, sparkling grape juice, an article from Amanda, who owns the Trove, plus a heap of other goodies to  make each prize winner very happy. We are looking for people to help us sell tickets, each book will
contain 20 tickets and if you can help please contact either Sheryll Titford  sherylltitford@gmail.com or myself;adrian.anderson100@gmail.com Please note, all funds raised in item 1 & 2 will be used for the new PHS building plus please ask people to visit the web site www.puhoihistoricalsociety.org.nz or  www.puhoi150years.org.nz for updates on future activities which are being planned.

Less Speed, More Haste

The Puhoi Community Forum has discussed a number of times over the years the problem with speeding traffic in and approaching the village centre. Discussion has centred on extending the 50 limit to the turn off from the state highway to as far as Bruce McGregor Drive or even the cemetery, speed bumps, more police presence, installing some form of chicane and/or a pedestrian crossing. Before we make a further approach to the police, Transit New Zealand or Auckland Council we want to be able to provide specific examples or speeding or erratic driving in the area. To this end Derek Hay, phone 422 0706 has agreed to collate information of any incidents over the next 2-3 months to see how extensive the problem is. Therefore, if you see anybody speeding or driving erratically please advise Derek with the following information, if possible – date, time and place of the incident, vehicle registration number, make and model of vehicle if known, assessed speed or other problem, any other relevant information.
“It would seem that some of our new neighbours are not aware that J Turnwald Road and Lenzen Road are side roads off Tunnel Road, and they neither look nor slow down as they turn into Tunnel Road in their cars,” observes one of our residents from up that way.

Making Biochar – tins needed

Joan Buchanan says, “I went to a workshop the other day on
how to make biochar for the compost heap. Biochar is a form of
charcoal made by burning dried organic matter. It is a good
home for the natural bacteria that help break compost down. You
can’t put it straight into the garden, it needs to go into the com-
post, and to do this I need large empty coffee or milo tins with
lids. I would be very grateful if you could ask around for me. I will
pick them up if anyone has them.” Please contact Joan on 09
4220020.

Minutes for Puhoi Community Forum: February 2014

MINUTES FOR THE PUHOI COMMUNITY FORUM

PO Box 404199 PUHOI

COMMITTEE MEETING HELD AT PUHOI SPORTS CLUB

Tuesday 25 February 2014

CHAIRMAN – P Straka

 

PRESENT: M Hayton, G Driver, K Warren, H Everts, P Straka (chair) B Titford, B Houlbrooke, T Koops, M Bellham, S Buckley, J Williams, L Mitchell, J Simons, S Tisdall, G Sorensen

 

APOLOGIES: R Green, D Hay, P Cooley, B Cooley, P Manton M: H Everts 2nd: J Williams

 

MINUTES OF LAST MEETING:

J. Simons requested an amendment:

Amendment: It was requested that the last paragraph be amended to read:

“There was discussion regarding the designation of Puhoi under three different zones- the Generic Rural and Coastal Settlement Zone, the newly-defined Sub-Precinct A and the newly-defined Neighbourhood Centre. G Sayers spoke to the “Precinct Plan Concept.”

M: H Everts 2nd: S Tisdall

MATTERS ARISING: Nil

 

CORRESPONDENCE IN:

Revised Unitary Plan feedback H Everts (circulated)

Paul Cliffe – weed control in the Memorial park

“What do you want from the Forum” suggestions- refer to GB

 

CORRESPONDENCE OUT:

H Everts to P Cliffe re Memorial Park Weed control

What do you want from the Forum in 2014? (Circulated)

 

TREASURERS REPORT: tabled M: G Sorensen 2nd: L Mitchell

 

GROUP REPORTS:

Local Board: Submissions close this Friday. Local Board “Rodney in the Spotlight” Expo at Mahurangi College Warkworth this Saturday. 10 am – 4pm. Auckland Transport (AT) meeting presented and discussed the designs for the footbridge. $90,000 will not cover costs, but a further allocation will be made.

Puhoi Memorial Park: Grazing sub-licence under review nearly completed. J Williams proposed thanks to P Straka and H Everts for their efforts. H Everts presented Ecological Management Plan prepared by Boffa Miskell Ltd re the park. (Circulated). Bio security has visited the area and 90 hours has been allocated to work with Landcare and the Forum. Landcare to prepare an action plan for work to be completed in the Park.

Park Advisory Committee: There is an Auckland-wide review as to how the parks and reserves are managed to bring all areas into line with each other. Park Advisory Board AGM will not be necessary, but the Sub-licence Agreement needs to go to B Houlbrooke for her attention. L Mitchell questioned whether there could be a closer relationship between PCF and the reconstituted Advisory Board. B Houlbrooke left the meeting at 8.35pm giving her apologies for next month’s meeting.

Motorway: J Simons presented a report re the motorway access and the impact of the residential expansion planned for Warkworth, and its possible effect on a Puhoi on/off ramp. H Everts stated that any plan would be open for public comment.

 

Revised Unitary Plan Feedback

 

The email circulated 11 February 2014 by H Everts was discussed at this point in the meeting to enable B Houlbrooke to attend prior to an early departure. Planners need to be conscientious and careful to recognise the special character of Puhoi. Submissions are to be presented at the end of the month. S Tisdall spoke to the Sub-Precinct A concept.

 

There was general support for the following three proposals.

 

1. Heritage protection. Proposal: Both the former Convent School and the Convent should be included in the list of places of significant historical heritage value.

M: J Williams 2nd: H Everts

 

2. Neighbourhood Centre and Sub-precinct A: Proposal: It is up to property owners directly affected (especially the hotel and general store) to decide about the nature and worth of the newly-defined Neighbourhood Centre.

M: S Tisdall 2nd: T Koops

 

3. Zones. Proposal: The zone designation of the sports fields under Public Open Spaces – Conservation should be changed to Public Open Space – Sports and Recreation.

M: H Everts 2nd S Tisdall

 

4. Puhoi Precinct. Proposal: We strongly submit that the proposed Puhoi Precinct be abolished as confusing, divisive, and redundant. It adds nothing necessary or new. The two new zones outlined above, and the two-fold set of associated rules meet the aspirations of the community as expressed over many years and articulated in the Puhoi Structure Plan. M: H Everts 2nd: J Williams

Puhoi Business: Report presented and filed.

Centennial Hall: no report

Sports Club: no report

Rural Fire Force: Plans are with planners at present and progressing. It is hoped that a report will be available shortly. The PRFF will be available to complete the project of the seats in the Memorial Park.

Library: no report

Church & Cemetery: Three funerals in one day.

Farmers Market: Circulated by email. Very successful birthday celebrations Report filed.

Auckland Council Unitary Plan: Refer to General Business

Landcare: no report but see above under memorial Park

Historical Society: report presented and filed. K Warren, whose property would be next door to the proposed building, was advised that the land has not yet been secured and that any development would be with full consultation. J Simons asked about the Maori Development involvement in the future development of our area. S Tisdall spoke to his enquiry.

150th committee report: no report

 

GENERAL BUSINESS: “What do you want from the Forum”

 

D Hay proposed:

Meetings begin promptly at 7.30pm, ending at 9pm whenever possible.

Group Reports kept to a 2-3 minute limit where possible.

G Sorensen asked

That longer reports be submitted one week prior to the meeting in order that they could be included in the agenda. J Williams spoke to this proposal, stating that this would not always be practical.

S Tisdall proposed

That for safety reasons there should be a footpath to the Shrine. A Walkway/extension to the one in the park out to SH1.

Arrows on the road leading from the Cheese Factory to Ahuroa road to “remind” tourists. All these suggestions are to be included in a Forum review of infrastructure matters to be forwarded to Auckland Transport (AT) later this year.

M Bellham recommended a walkway/footpath from the Cheese Factory to the village, very dangerous for walkers at present. J Simons mentioned that T Sampson and A Dunn had completed a feasibility study on this proposal a number of years ago.

G Sorensen to follow up.

H Everts proposed the following:

Apply for community funding from Auckland Council

Continue to develop the Park (In progress)

Develop a brochure about the Forum and its member organisations (T Koops- in progress) with distribution of the brochure to locals, especially newcomers.

Invite people and organisations that cluster around similar themes to present ideas and issues at a meeting, e.g. youth, ecological issues, promoting Puhoi

Continue to push for infrastructure development

 

Northern Action Group

L Mitchell gave a brief update on the NAG and referred people to the website NAG.com

Refer to latest edition of Mahurangi Matters.

There was a Local Government Commission meeting two weeks ago.

Araparera – there has been no accountability to the ratepayers from the Trust, re funding allocated to Rodney roading.

11th March 2014 public meeting to highlight the roading issues.

 

p) T Koops presented his report on the promotion of the Forum. Circulated. Submission to T Koops via email please for inclusion in the “welcome pack” which contains a PCF membership form. M Bellham suggested that we have a stall at the Farmers Market or similar event, to promote PCF.

 

 

 

MEETING CLOSED: 9.10 PM

NEXT MEETING: 25th March 2014

CHAIRMAN: D Hay

 

Approved by:

 

Minutes for Puhoi Community Forum: January 2014

MINUTES FOR THE PUHOI COMMUNITY FORUM

PO Box 404199 PUHOI

COMMITTEE MEETING HELD AT PUHOI SPORTS CLUB

Tuesday 28 January 2014

CHAIRMAN – Hans Everts

PRESENT: M Hayton, G Driver, M Bellham, S Buckley, P Manton, G Sayers (RLB), J Williams, P Cooley, B Cooley, H Darnell, R Green, B Houlbrooke (RLB), T Koops, P Straka, D Hay, H Everts (Chair), G Sorensen

APOLOGIES: S Hackett, B Titford

MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Presented and accepted. Moved S Tisdall 2nd: P Straka

MATTERS ARISING: Nil

CORRESPONDENCE IN:

T Koops presented the work that has been done to date in order to promote the PCF.

Family violence Invitation – circulated

S Hackett – circulated, please disregard the latter part of the letter as it was included in error.

Adrian Anderson on promoting Puhoi; to be addressed at the Forum meeting in February.

CORRESPONDENCE OUT:

Letter to Russell Green regarding the installation of memorial seats in the Park

TREASURERS REPORT: Presented and accepted Moved: D Hay, 2nd: T Koops

H Everts spoke to the financial position of the Forum, reiterating that the honorarium will no longer apply to the secretary’s role. A $5 subscription was proposed for membership of PCF for the remainder of the year. H Everts spoke to the group re the function of the PCF, its makeup and relationship to the broader community. P Manton further outlined to the meeting/newcomers the structure and purpose of the Forum.

GROUP REPORTS:

  1. Local Board: Both Beth Houlbrooke and Greg Sayers attended tonight’s meeting. Beth reported on: 1. Community consultation on the Atlas site. There is an Expo this Saturday at Mahurangi College Hall. 2. March 2 Expo at the Warkworth show grounds – vision for the future, the bigger picture. 3. There are a number of surveys on line at present, please support these. 4. There is a slip in the Park at present which is being attended to. 5. The footbridge and footpath are in the detailed design phase at present. 6. Draft Annual Plan has been presented – refer to Website for more detail. H. Darnell, library representative, says there is a copy available in the Puhoi Library for perusal.

  2. Puhoi Memorial Park: refer toemails as circulated. 1. Grazing Lease is being looked at at present. P Manton, P Straka, H Everts to follow up possible lessees. Currently water, yards, and sub-paddocks are all issues to be considered, together with gates and access. 2. H Everts spoke to PCF re the recently stolen timber. This timber has been replaced and the matter is now closed. Locks are to be replaced in the Park. 3. Weeds – Council has a certain responsibility for the maintenance and Bio security is currently looking at this issue. 4. Memorial seats- letter on file re their installation. T Koops developed the plan, R Green to oversee the installation, P Manton will also be involved in this project. 5. Mowing of track. This has not been done for some considerable time. The slip purportedly prevented the mower to complete this work. Under consideration.

  3. Park Advisory Committee: The AGM for this group was planned for 11/2/2014. Changes are at present being made by Auckland Council to the structure of this body. B Houlbrook to follow up. M Bellham asked about the new national walkway, specifically the notice at the top of the loop track; P Manton replied.

  4. Motorway: H Darnell addressed the community’s current involvement in addressing the Puhoi access ramps for the new motorway.

  5. Puhoi Business: S Tisdall noted that the AGM of Matakana Coast and Country is to be held on Monday 2/2/2014. J Williams spoke to the need for Puhoi businesses to be represented.

  6. Centennial Hall : No report

  7. Sports Club: Soccer tournament 7-14 February. Muster for soccer and netball.

  8. Rural Fire Force: R Green reinforced the need for permits for fires. January was quiet. There are 10 volunteers at present, and they are always looking for more. The new Ute has now arrived. The plans for the new station will be available at the Farmers Market in February. They hope to be in the new premises at the end of 2014.

  9. Library: H Darnell outlined plans for Waitangi Day, Valentine’s Day and Anzac Day displays in the library. The library is now able to draw on their own excellent resources to enable these displays.

  10. Church & Cemetery: P Straka noted that both are open for business

  11. Farmers Market: refer to circulated email from J Williams. She reported that there are a number of initiatives for the 6th birthday celebrations 23rd February 2014. Please support local.

  12. Auckland Council Unitary Plan: refer to General Business below

  13. Landcare: refer S Hackett circulated email. H Evertsreinforced the need for Landcare to be active in and supported by the local community.

  14. Historical Society: S Tisdall reported thatN Golding had worked diligently over the holidays for this organisation. Adrian Anderson’s letter addressed aspects of the plans for the new building. The Treaty of Waitangi has now to be considered in relation to land issues. S. Tisdall will keep us informed as to progress. Ongoing.

  15. 150th committee report: no report

  16. PCF promotion: T Koops presented a number of initiatives to promote the Forum. This is ongoing and will be presented at further PCF meetings.

GENERAL BUSINESS:

1. Auckland Unitary Plan and Puhoi.

H Everts presented this report. The Proposed Auckland Unitary Plan continues to incorporate the core features of our original Puhoi Structure Plan, and thus continues to be supported by the Forum. However, several specific matters need attention, including the need for the zone designation for the sports fields to be changed to Public Open Space – Sports and Recreation; for both the original convent and convent school to be included in the list of places of significant historical heritage value; for reference to Puhoi to be made in the list of precincts in the North area of Auckland; and for the property owners involved (especially of the Hotel and the General Store) to take responsibility for deciding whether they wish to be included in the newly defined Neighbourhood Centre area. There was discussion on our confusion regarding the designation of Puhoi under three different zones – the generic Rural and Coastal Settlement zone, the newly-defined Sub-Precinct A, and the newly-defined Neighbourhood Centre. It is the distinction between the first two of these that is most confusing. G Sayers spoke to the “precinct plan” concept. H Everts and J Simons are to arrange a meeting with Unitary Plan consultants as soon as possible, and report back to the Forum for further discussion at the next meeting.

MEETING CLOSED: 9.45 PM

NEXT MEETING: 25 February 2014

CHAIRMAN: P Straka

Approved by:

 

 

1 72 73 74 75 76 78