Monthly Archives: April 2018

Severe Weather Watch

MetService have issued a severe weather watch for heavy rain and strong winds from 8am Saturday to 1am Sunday with mean E-NE winds of 65-75km/h, with gusts of 90-100km/h, possible in exposed areas of the eastern coast, Great Barrier Island, and the Hauraki Gulf. 

Persistent rain, with the wettest period likely to be late Saturday afternoon and evening, is likely for all of Auckland, with locally heavy downpours possible for coastal regions north of Orewa. 

MetService advises that the combination of rain, strong onshore winds, relatively low pressure, and high tides will likely cause coastal inundation in susceptible areas (for example the Tamaki Drive and Bucklands Beach areas).

Find out what you can do to prepare if bad weather does come, click on Our Auckland for more.  

To stay up to date follow us on Facebook and Twitter.  

Kind Regards

Auckland Emergency Management

Minutes of the Puhoi Forum Community Meeting 27 April 2018

MINUTES OF THE PUHOI FORUM COMMUNITY MEETING

HELD AT PUHOI SPORTS CLUB ON 27 APRIL 2018 commencing at 7.30pm

Present

Paul Manton, Dustyn O’Leary co chairs. Judith, Sheryll, Teri, Mike Swain, Sandra Beagley, Sorrel secretary, Luke Krieg

1. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING 28 FEBRUARY 2018

Motion 1

THAT the minutes of the meeting held on 27 February 2018 be confirmed as a true and accurate record.

Moved: Paul Manton

Seconded: Terri Ryder

Carried

2. TREASURER’S REPORT FEBRUARY 2018

Motion 2

THAT the Treasurer’s report for March 2017 and the end of the 2106/2017 Financial year was accepted.

Moved: Jenny Schollum

Seconded: Dustyn O’Leary

Carried

3. AUCKLAND 10 YEAR PLAN

Question raised to the members present: Does the forum wish to make a submission? As a forum who de we represent in our comments? What parts of the following can we comment on?

(Paul Manton raised some extracts regarding the finances of Auckland Council)

Questions from the Local Board regarding their 10 Year Budget/Plan that the Forum felt it could comment on included:

1. Do you support the local board funding to maintain town centres?

We would like to see smaller community centers rather than larger town development as feel these areas often get left out.

2. Annual targeted rate for transport in Rodney? i.e. to include the sealing of Krippner road.

Sheryll notes that in Waiwera they have asked for a maintenance seal rather than full seal. Discussion was held regarding the which roads in Puhoi were most in need of sealing, it was agreed that Ahuroa Road was more of in issue with traffic and dust than Krippner, given the road is used as a detour route when SH1 is closed.

Motion 3

THAT the forum will make a submission on the 10 Year Budget and comment that Ahuroa Road is of a higher priority to the community than Krippner road for receiving a ‘maintenance seal’.

Moved: Judith Williams

Seconded: Paul Manton

(Show of hands shows all in agreement).

Carried.

4. PUHOI ENTRANCEWAY DESIGN

Dustyn O’Leary (CoChair) has met with Hokai Nuku (Group responsible for the design of an entranceway feature for the new motorway) to discuss the Puhoi entrance. This group wishes to work with the local people to develop a landscape, bridge or art feature which reflects the joint history of the Bohemian settlers and local iwi. The design will consider the visual identity of Puhoi and expression of interest are wanted from people who want to be involved. The Historical society wish to be included.

Motion 4:

Put it out to the wider community to garner interest and set up a working group to develop this design in consultation with Hokai Nuku (Action – Dustyn). use Facebook page and newsletter.

Moved: Mike Swain

Seconded: Jenny Scholum

Carried

5. WHARF SLIPWAY

Larry Mitchell has proposed to push ahead with a slip way on the park side of the river below lower wharf river to assist people getting in and out of their kayaks. There is provision in the original design. Another round of funding is coming up that he will apply for to have this completed.

Motion 5:

THAT the Forum supports Larry in his finalising of the wharf project – all in agreement by show of hands.

6. GENERAL BUSINESS

  1. Working Groups

Puhoi Pioneers Memorial Park

Maintenance of loop track – UMS contractors have been contacted. No response to emails from Dustyn. Tessa said she would follow it up as local board representative. Ask her to contact the contractors. The maintenance is not being done well.

Need to meet on site to walk through the second stage of the river walkway and ensure this is also mowed as part of regular pathway maintenance contract.

Paul will contact Park’s management in Council to address this.

General discussion on planting riverbank, costs, plants needed, who to use, picking up of pots.

Road safety group

Need to set a meeting date. Chair costing out sleeper design on one side only and applying for funds for this. Consent for project – Forum can apply for an exemption from Auckland Transport where we will maintain the assets/replace any damaged sleepers.

Civil Defense/ Neighbourhood Support

Heston can no longer fulfil his role, so there is no ERMP. Don Hill of tiger Hill alpacas or Ian Boothroyd, prior president of sports club have both been approached but neither of them are prepared to lead.

Volunteer numbers are down for them. Judith will put it in the newsletters – what are the qualifications for this role – communications, generators, people coordinator. Need to establish local first responders, communications plan. List possible emergencies – what do we need?

Luke Krieg says he may be able to help.

Village market

Good market, downstairs area of the sports club has been painted and kitchen has been cleaned. The move upstairs was not successful as it was difficult to draw punters up. Sandra arrives at 6.30 and she and Jackie had to move the freedom campers. Does the market have permission to move people on to clear the area for the market? – Judith notes that we have permission from Council to run the market.

Need to put a sign up on day before market.

Tessa was looking into signage, regarding freedom campers. no response from her yet.

Historic Society

New sign in on this side of the bridge regarding weight limits. This is right where the new flag pole and gates were to be mounted. There will be a small working bee to put the gates int. All materials and flagpole and are being prepared for installation.

Advance notice 29th June will be the 155 year Puhoi Anniversary Day. Bohemian dinner for golden ages on the Friday, catered, but need help, Sat night is the Community Dance.

Puhoi Trivia Nights

Items need for the Forum raffle hamper- cosmetics, wine, – please pass any offerings to Judith.

Thursday night 19th April is Trivial Night at pub, one of the nights is going to be the flagpole memorial fund night – may be used for plaque, planting etc.

The meeting closed at 8.45pm.

NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 24th April at 7.30pm.

Puhoi Community Forum Agenda: Meeting to Be Held On Tuesday 24th April 2018

PUHOI COMMUNITY FORUM

MEETING TO BE HELD ON TUESDAY 24th April 2018 at 7.30pm at

THE PUHOI SPORTS CLUB – CHAIRPERSON – PAUL MANTON

AGENDA

  1. Confirmation of the Minutes of previous Meeting held on 27TH March 2018

  1. Matters Arising from those Minutes (not appearing on this Agenda)

  1. Treasurer’s Report – for March 2018 and 2017-2018 financial year – as previously circulated by Jenny Schollum.

  1. NX2 Gateway Group – confirmation of members for working group.

  1. General Business

  1. Puhoi Pioneer’s Memorial River Park

Call for volunteers for working bee in the park – please come along for more info on what needs to be done and to put your name down to help out!!

(ii) Working Groups – updates

  • Road Safety Group

  • Civil Defense/Neighborhood Support

  • Historic Society

  • Others

NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 29 May at 7.30pm.

Market This Weekend…

This coming Puhoi Village Market offers good music, delicious food, interesting stalls, kids’ corner, spinning demonstrations, yoga, free spinal checks and good company.

Pūhoi to Warkworth Motorway Project. The NX2 Stakeholder and Communications team will have a project stand with general information, recent project photos and can discuss work coming up in the Pūhoi area. A great opportunity to get those concerns aired and questions answered.
The car boot sale has proved popular again and looks to be the place to forage for treasures and bargains.
Support your local market.  See you on Sunday, 29th April, between 9am – 1pm

Special Car Boot Sale Market

Car boot Sale this month – Only a few spaces left so get in quick if you want to book a spot.
Our entertainer is David Four, a South African born recording artist who moved to New Zealand in 2015 bringing his musical roots with him.
Our buskers are Five ‘n’ Dime, a North Shore based Acoustic Rock duo performing a variety of different Classic Rock in their own fun and relaxed style.
Kids Corner again offer some free activities for kids. This month, autumn window and small twig decorations.
Lily will be there with her giant bubbles and Sim busking on his violin. They are fundraising for the annual snow camp.
A couple of new stalls this market.
Earthspot, run by Puhoi locals, Katy and Nathan is best described as a mobile cafe and offers a delicious brunch style menu.
Babickas Table is Waiheke Island based artisan sausage producer that supplies various shops around North Island with handcrafted gourmet sausages.
More info on the photos.
So pencil in the date – Puhoi Village Market, 29 April, 9am – 1pm

Share Your Memories

And Puhoi’s historical society, in preparation for the coming Anzac Day commemorations it is organising for our community, is asking for local people to send the society stories of their ancestors who died in the wars, or, simply, just their names, to be included in the Roll of Honour to be read out that day. Contact Sheryl or Jenny at the museum on 09 4220852 or email: puhoibohemianmuseum@gmail.com 

Make a Grand Entrance

We are looking for expressions of interest in being part of a design group working on the new entranceway feature for our village when you enter the village from the new Puhoi to Walkworth Motorway. If you would be interested in working with NX2 and Hokai Nuku on the form and location of this feature please email me on dustyn.ol.nz@gmail.com before the end of the month.
Kind Regards
Dustyn
PCF Co-chair