Monthly Archives: April 2017

A Win for Puhoi Road Safety Group: School Bus Route Extension

 
 
 

We on the Puhoi Road Safety Group have some fantastic news to report. After many, many emails and and even more phone calls we have managed to get one of the school buses to extend their route to Remiger Road. This means that there will be pick ups in the morning and drop offs in the afternoons at the intersections of Ahuroa Road and Bruce Mcgregor, Tunnel and Remiger Roads. This will save kids having to walk home along Ahuroa Road and alleviate congestion in the village centre in the mornings and afternoons when the buses are int he village. Please remember that the legal speed limit when passing a stationary school bus is 20kms whatever side of the road you are on. And please keep an eye out for the kids waiting for their school bus. Attached is a notice of running times for your information.

Minutes of the Puhoi Forum Community Meeting 18th April 2017

MINUTES OF THE PUHOI FORUM COMMUNITY MEETING

HELD AT PUHOI SPORTS CLUB ON 18 APRIL 2017 commencing at 7.30pm

PRESENT: Paul Manton (Chair), Dustyn O’Leary (Co-Chair), Jenny Schollum (Treasurer), Judith Williams, Sheryll Titford, Brian Titford, Sorrel O’Leary, Kristin Gillies, Gary Wenzlick, Johan Rijnbende, Beth Houlbrooke (Rodney Local Board), Tessa Berger (Rodney Local Board),, Christine Mundell, Terri Ryder, Sarah Churchouse, Martyn smith Wendy Hayton (Secretary, Minutes)

APOLOGIES: Russell Green, Heston Prosper-Smith, Mike Swain, Jenny Neel, Val Smith, Marg Nelson, Pat and Grahamde3 Backley

1. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING 28 MARCH 2017

The minutes of the meeting held on 28 March 2017 had been previously circulated. The minutes were accepted as being a true and accurate record.

Motion 1

THAT the minutes of the meeting held on 28 March 2017 be confirmed as a true and accurate record.

Moved: Paul Manton

Seconded: Terri Ryder

Carried

Matters Arising

Chris Mundell referred to the reference in the minutes to the paddock with hay that was going to be planted out as wetland and reference to a discussion at a previous meeting. Chris had checked and reported that it was said that the issue of wetland or not would be put before the two farmers involved. Minutes of previous years’ meetings had said that if that land were put into wetland, it could never be put back to a hay paddock. However, there appears to have been no motion made regarding any decision. Dustyn said the issue had been discussed with Kevin and representative Forum members, and agreed that he would not cut it and in future when planting the walkway this area would be left as wetland. Dustyn will circulate minutes where this is covered in order to clarify.

Action: Dustyn

  1. TREASURER’S REPORT for MARCH 2017/ End Financial Year – previously circulated

Payments for the month were for the Sports Club meeting venue and a new member subscription. THAT the secretarial payment for $30 was approved. It was noted that the Sport’s Club rental fee has increased as from 1 April 2017. It was agreed that Jenny would send the accounts through to Larry Mitchell to get audited. Subscriptions will be due prior to the AGM in June.

Motion 2

THAT the secretarial payment for $30 was approved, and THAT the Treasurer’s report for March 2017 and the end of the 2106/2017 Financial year was accepted.

Moved: Judith

Seconded: Paul

Carried

  1. PIONIEER RIVER PARK

Paul Manton gave an update on the river walkway. There has been little progress on the fencing because of wet weather. The Council arborists have not yet got involved, although they have visited the site.

The Forum leases from the Council all the land in the River Park (land to the left hand side of the bridge, through the metal gate), including walkways and planting, and sublets a substantial amount of this land to Kevin Jones (farmer) on a 5 year sublease, This lease has currently another 2 years or so to run (half way through). Kevin has indicated a desire to continue leasing the land once the lease comes up for renewal.

Paul Manton reported that the Council have sent documentation for renewal of the River Park land lease by the Forum. He requested approval to send these forms in to the Council. The lease is 10 x 10 years. This lease reflects the changeover from the Rodney Council to the Auckland Council. There is no change otherwise. Discussion took place. There is an income stream to the Forum at the moment from Kevin Jones, lessee of the farmland.

The whole Park is under the Council lease. The building of the Sports Club and surrounding land to the right hand side of the bridge is not included in the Forum’s lease. This is leased to the Sports Club by the Council.

It was agreed that Paul should send in the documents for lease renewal to the Council by a show of hands.

Judith Williams reported that a tree had fallen into the river in the storms. This is on public land. It appeared as if it might dam the river. Judith rang the Council storm water help line and lodged a request for assistance. It was suggested that a contractor be brought in to do the work, in order to avoid delays. To date, nothing has happened. It was agreed that Judith should log the call and get a reference number and email the Council (Tessa Berger).by email with the details.

  1. FUTURE PROJECTS/ACTIVITIES FOR THE MEMORIAL PARK

This is ongoing. Some really good ideas have been received. More time and ideas are needed. Sarah Churchouse carried out a brief survey of Puhoi residents on her own account. She reported that the overwhelming response was that little should be changed. There was very little support for more building or tourist development. Park use included cycling, dog walking and leisure walks. Paul thanked Sarah for this information and welcomed her feedback and contribution.

Judith asked to table information about her views buildings in the Puhoi Memorial Park. This information accompanies the minutes.

  1. GENERAL BUSINESS

  1. Working Groups

Traffic Safety/Walkways

Dustyn reported that Greenways have approached the Forum for a letter of support for their grant to develop a number of pathways. Duistyn proposed giving this support, conditional on Greenways further consultation with the Forum on a number of issues (e.g. planning for parking

etc). This is a long term project. It was agreed in principle by a show of hands, so long as these are multi use pathways

Neighbourhood Support and Civil Defence

Judith reported 21 streets need coordinators. She has about 12.

  1. Village Market

Celebrating ethnicities on 30th April. The pub has ATM facilities for this (not the shop).

  1. ANZAC Day – being organized by the PHS.

  2. Council 3 Year Strategic Plan Consultation.

Beth Houlbrooke reported that the Council is about to do more consultation on the 3 year strategic plan for the Rodney Local Board area – budget allocations are based on community feedback for projects over the next 3 years.

The meeting closed at 8.35pm.

NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 30th May at 7.30pm.

River Park Use Survey

Sarah Churchouse has kindly donated the results of the independent survey she circulated on our use and aspirations for the Puhoi River Park. The survey received a large number of responses (125). Here are the summarized results and the full (anonymized) replies.

The survey by Puhoi Community Forum looking asking for ideas for small, locally resourced projects for the park  is still open. Please take the time to respond to this to help prioritise our community efforts.

 

 

Puhoi Village Market, Sunday, 30th April, 9am to 1pm

It will be our Ethnic Day to celebrate Puhoi’s diverse cultures. Feel free to dress up in your national costume and join us. There will be a Samosa cooking demonstration, Bohemian folk dancing, body art demonstration and belly dancing.

Fresh local fruit and veges, eggs, honey, olive oil, Puhoi coffee, cheese, fresh-squeezed juice, pickles, fresh bread and pastries, smoked salmon, jam and pickles, samosa, deli foods, herbs, plants, craft stalls and much more.

 

Support Local!

Call 0274 27 0440 or email puhoivillagemarket@gmail.com for inquiries or more information.

 

Next month market: Sunday, 28th May 2017

Weather Warning

Afternoon Aucklanders,

There is a high risk of extreme rainfall today (Wednesday) and tomorrow across the Auckland region prior to the arrival of tropical cyclone Cook.Some residents in parts of Auckland – in particular Gulf Islands, Maraeta, iBeachlands, Kawakawa Bay, , Clevedon, Waiheke and South Auckland are urged to prepare for strong winds in addition to bursts of heavy rain and coastal storm surges over the next two days.

Current forecasts show the cyclone arriving around midday Thursday however, keep an eye on updated forecasts throughout the day as this may change.

If your property is at risk of flooding or slips, consider ahead of time whether you need to stay with friends or family for the duration of this storm event. If there is an immediate risk to life or property at any time, contact emergency services on 111.
Some communities may be isolated due to the impacts of this weather event and the following tropical cyclone Cook.

If you must travel:

  • Consider postponing non-essential travel
  • Always drive to the weather conditions and never drive through floodwaters.
  • If you get stuck in a flood, get out of your car and move to higher ground immediately, taking great care in the floodwaters.
  • If driving at night, drive slowly, especially through flood-prone areas as you may encounter flooding at short notice.
  • If your property or area may be affected by slips or power outages, prepare for the possibility that your road access may be cut off and ensure you have food and provisions on hand in case of isolation.
  • Never attempt to drive over slips and treat power lines as live at all times.
  • Report blocked drains, flooding and trees down on public land to the council on 09 301 0101.

Check on neighbours and family, especially if they are in at risk areas or might be affected by flooding or slips.

Please take care and keep an eye on your community.

Sincerely,
Auckland Civil Defence and Emergency Management

River Park Project Suggestions

The Puhoi Community Forum will be working with Auckland Council to review the River Park management plan over the next few months. They’d like to canvas some suggestions on projects that the community might like to do in the park over the next few years.

For the best chance of success, these would be small projects, within the scope of community effort and funding, rather than requiring financial input from the Council/Local Board

 

 

Some suggestions from a quick brainstorm at the last forum are listed below – please note that these are by no means definite – just to get you thinking

  1. Scouts/Playgroup building. Perhaps using/rebuilding the A&P show shed on the sports field
  2. More walking tracks. To link up with Te Araroa trail etc
  3. Wetland. Re invigorating the existing wetland area
  4. Puhoi Little Village
  5. Horses/Riding – more jumps (as at present) and a further area for riding be drained with sand and flattened off. Such an area could possibly also be used as a sports area.
  6. Music in the Park area.
  7. Mountain bike/informal BMX tracks area to help get the kids of the roads.
  8. Community gardens/orchard  this was a popular suggestion at the workshops last year