Category Archives: Community

Puhoi Community Forum Minutes: 29th Nov 2016

MINUTES OF THE PUHOI FORUM COMMUNITY MEETING

HELD AT PUHOI SPORTS CLUB ON 25 OCTOBER 2016 commencing at 7.30pm

PRESENT: Paul Manton (Chair), Dustyn O’Leary (Co-Chair), Tessa Berger (Rodney Local Board), Beth Houlbrooke (Rodney Local Board), Jenny Schollum (Treasurer), Sandra Beagley, Peter Straka, Sorrel O’Leary, Gavin Donaldson, Pat Backley, Graham Backley, Christine Mundell, Derek Broadmore, Roz Broadmore, Mike Swain, Jenny Neel, Martyn Smith, Sheryll Titford, Brian Titford, Clinton McClean, Peter Cooley, George Drive, Bill Marcroft, Adrian Anderson, Terri Ryder, Cody Mankelow, John Simons, J Rijnbende, Marg Nelson, Heston Prospere-Smith, Wendy Hayton (Secretary, Minutes)

APOLOGIES: Judith Williams, Kristin Gillies

Paul Manton welcomed attendees to the meeting, and introduced the NZ2 Northern Express Group – Ray Wilson, CEO, Theresa Walsh, Jocelyn Shaw, Ray Chang.

  1. PRESENTATION BY NX2 GROUP

Ray Wilson, CEO of NZ2 Group introduced the project, being run as a joint venture, Public/Private Partnership (PPP) between Fletchers and Axionna (Spanish). NZ2 is the funder and subcontracting the work to Fletchers and Axionna. A PPP provides quick, efficient and good design and innovation. The Group will build the motorway over the next 5 years and then operate it for 25 years prior to handing it back to the government (NZTA). Becca and Tonkin and Taylor are undertaking the design. Plans will be available for consultation. The contract was only formally awarded to NX2 on 3 November. Alan Horridge is the Project Director.

The first priority is to put in a longitudinal road down the whole length of the projected motorway for construction traffic, so it does not impede traffic flow on SH1 during the construction process. The first major earthworks will begin in September/October 2017. There will be an office close to Puhoi and one further north. The target completion date is Xmas 2021.

Dustyn has provided the NX2 team with the Draft Puhoi Vision 2016 developed at the Workshop in July which outlines details of the proposed village centre planning for trails and links, parking and the proposed bus turnaround.

An information session will be held by a team from NX2 Group for residents and interested community members in Puhoi on 15 December in the Sports Hall from 5pm to 8pm. This will include light refreshments.

Contact is welcome from community members.

Email: info@nx2group.com

Phone: 0508 P2WK INFO (7295 4636)

Website: nx2group.com (to be completed and up very shortly).

The NX2 Group team left the meeting at 8.10pm.

Paul Manton introduced Tessa Berger of the Rodney Local Board. Tessa introduced herself as the new Local Board representative on the Forum. She will be working closely with Beth Houlbrooke.

  1. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING 25 October 2016

The minutes of the meeting held on 25 October 2016 had been previously circulated. These were accepted as being a true and accurate record.

Motion 1

THAT the minutes of the meeting held on 25 October 2016 be confirmed as a true and accurate record.

Moved: Paul Manton

Seconded: Dustyn O’Leary

Carried

MATTERS ARISING

  1. Application for Extension of Grant River Park Update

An extension has been granted until August 2017 to allow time for planting and to complete the work.

  1. Planting Te Araroa Trail

Restoration of plants completed.

  1. TREASURER’S REPORT for October 2016 – previously circulated

Bank signatory for the Puhoi Forum was transferred from Peter Straka to Kristin Gilles (as Deputy Chair).

Moved: Paul Manton

Seconded: Terri Ryder

Carried

The secretarial payment for $30 was approved. The Treasurer’s report for October 2016 was accepted.

Moved: Paul Manton

Seconded: Terri Ryder

Carried

  1. DRAFT PUHOI VISION DOCUMENT

This had been previously circulated. It is being presented as an official Deputation to the Rodney Local Board on 15 December.

Dustyn ran through the detail and circulated copies of the plan to refresh peoples’ memories. It is currently a draft only and needs more detail and costings, which will be completed in time for the 15 December Local Board meeting. Feedback is very welcome.

Paul Manton thanked the team for their hard in pulling this plan together.

  1. REVIEW OF MANAGEMENT PLAN FOR PUHOI PARK (see plan and map)

The damaged macrocarpa trees have to be removed (2 out of 4) as per the arborist’s report. Peter Straka will give this to Paul Manton and Gavin Donaldson, who will liaise with the Parks Department of the Council.

Culverts – Paul is to talk to Kevin Jones. Peter Straka is to ask Rodney Straka if he will be willing to provide a tractor, time and materials to complete the needed work.

  1. UNITARY PLAN UPDATE

97 Saleyards Road – Proposed Development

Housing NZ have become involved in the project. There has been a suggestion that the Forum withdraw the pressure of their opposition. Discussion took place and it was agreed that Forum involvement is important to push the opposition point of view as far as possible.

Moirs Hill Proposed Development by Asia Pacific International

The Forum has not made a submission on this, but is keeping a close watch on

developments.

  1. CIVIL DEFENCE

Judith Williams and Heston Prospere Smith had attended an area meeting in Mahurangi. Heston reported that basically Civil Defence for Puhoi is a matter of deciding what the local community wants to do. Paul Manton emphasized that this is issue is a high priority going forward and it needs to have proper representation.

Motion 2

That this Forum develop a working group to take ownership of, and develop a plan for Civil Defence in the Puhoi area.

Moved: Gavin Donaldson

Seconded: Sorrel O’Leary

Carried

Heston will bring more information to the next meeting for further discussion and decision making. Gavin will work with Heston on this in the interim and report back, while awaiting the appointment of a full working group.

  1. GENERAL BUSINESS

  1. Working Group Reports

Traffic Safety Group – work has started on the pathway on Gillian Seymour’s land. It is an old trail which needs to be upgraded, with cutting back of bush etc. Gavin Donaldson is happy to assist with this.

  1. Moving fruit trees to River Park from Puhoi Historical Society

It is too difficult to get a tractor into the planted area. The trees are by now quite mature and may not survive re-planting. These trees were originally planted in the memory of local families. It was suggested that perhaps cuttings be taken from the trees to plan in the River Park.

Sheryll Titford is to take this proposal back to the Puhoi Historical Society for discussion at their next meeting.

  1. Puhoi Heritage Little Village project

Larry Mitchell, as spokesman for the team, introduced the members – Adrian Anderson, Marg Nelson, Sheryll Titford, Larry Mitchell, Gillian Seymour and Bernadette Straka.

They have spent the last few months developing an information brochure. It is a multi-facetted project. It is hoped to get 70% of the funding from the community trust and benefactor funding. At the moment the plan is focused on raising seed money and establishing an incorporated society, brochures and more information. It is anticipated this project will be similar to the Fire Station project and the Sports Hall, as part of a community effort, with an entrée back to the Forum. It is intended to have an information session in the New Year via a display in the Community Hall. The election of Trustees for the project is anticipated for mid 2017.

Website: puhoiheritagevillage.co.nz

  1. Community Picnic – Wednesday 7 December in the Pony Park grounds at 6pm to celebrate the achievements of the year and for all members of the community to get together.

People are asked to bring food and their own drink. There will be BBQ facilities provided and likely a sausage sizzle. If it rains, it will be cancelled.

The meeting closed at 9.10pm.

NEXT MEETING: The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 31 January at 7.30pm in the Sports Hall. This will be the final meeting of the year.

Little Village Project

[from Ian Anderson]

See brochure

Our village of Puhoi has a rich heritage of over 150 years of historical connection to its original Bohemian settlers. The ‘Puhoi Heritage Little Village project’, to be located in central Puhoi, takes advantage of its close proximity (30 minutes) from Auckland City with its Auckland to Puhoi motorway connection.  It will provide visitors with a unique destination to visit for a truly memorable quality heritage, historical and leisure experience for children and adults alike.

We are seeking your support to help the Puhoi Heritage Little Village project become a reality. The brochure attached explains in more detail about what is envisaged, where, when and how we are aiming to achieve this goal.  The Puhoi to Warkworth motorway is targeted to open for traffic by late 2021 and we are aiming to have the project completed before then.

I’m sure you will appreciate there is still an enormous amount of work involved to achieve these goals and your support will be so important to getting this project started.

In the brochure we have indicated with an asterisk where the initial funds we are seeking will be used to get this project started. Donation information is listed on page 11 of the brochure about how your contribution will enable you as an individual/family or as a business can become a founding member of the Puhoi Heritage Little Village.  We look forward to welcoming you as a special part of our exciting project.

Kind regards

Adrian Anderson

2016 Puhoi Heritage Project Team member

 

PS! If you have family, relations or business associates that have a connexion to Puhoi can you please forward the brochure to them?

 

Puhoi Community Forum Agenda: 29th Nov 2016

PUHOI COMMUNITY FORUM

MEETING TO BE HELD ON TUESDAY 29th NOVEMBER 2016 at 7.30pm at

THE PUHOI SPORTS CLUB – CHAIRPERSON – PAUL MANTON

AGENDA

  1. Presentation by NX2 Group re Puhoi to Warkworth Motorway

  • Ray Wilson (CEO) and Theresa Nash

  1. Confirmation of the Minutes of previous Meeting held on 25th October 2016

  1. Matters Arising from those Minutes (not appearing on this Agenda)

  1. Treasurer’s Report – for October 2016 – Jenny Schollum

  1. Draft Puhoi Vision Document – the Traffic Safety Group

  1. Review of Management Plan of Pioneer Park – Sorrel O’Leary

  • to establish five year goals, in view of the changes arising from Auckland Unitary Plan as already manifest from subdivisions and zoning changes.  (This would mean establishing fencing dates).

  1. Unitary Plan Update – Mike Swain/Dustyn O’Leary

  • Proposed development – 97 Saleyards Road, Puhoi

  • Proposed development – Moir Hill

  1. General Business

  1. Civil Defence – Heston to provide update

  1. Working Groups – updates

  • Traffic Safety Initiatives Progress

  • Others?

  1. Planting Te Araroa Trail – update

  • Auckland Council Grant extension update?

  • Date for moving the trees from the Historical Society Land

(should have been Sunday 6 November).

NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 31 January 2017 at 7.30pm.

Puhoi Junior Summer Social Soccer

Fridays from November 4th to December 9th
4.30pm to 6pm
REGISTRATION: has closed but there are still places
remaining.
For more information email Billy Fry Billyf95@hotmail.com
Proposed age groupings for children are:

  • 5 to 7 year olds
  • 8 to 10 year olds
  • 11 to 1 4 year olds

Games start at 4.30 pm and all games will be finished by
6pm. Each child plays 2 games.

Give-a-little-a-thon

[from our dedicated and always cheerful, Fire Chief, Russell]

Kia Ora,

The Rodney community is getting behind the Puhoi Fire Station appeal, with a Givealittle-athon, timed for Guy Fawkes weekend. We had hoped to get our local radio station, More FM Rodney, in behind the event!

Anyone planning to donate should do it Guy Fawkes weekend!

The Puhoi Fire Station Givealittle campaign, technically, is an ‘open cause’ that runs until 31 May 2017. However, rather than have it drag on for another seven months, a ‘Givealittle-athon’, climaxing on 5–6 November, is underway.

Here’s why:

  1. The funding heavy lifting has happened, but help is needed to finish the job, so that as soon as the building is complete, a fully operational fire station can be opened; so, to help make this happen,
  2. Donations of $25 or more made between now and the end of Guy Fawkes weekend attract a reward.

All that those wishing to receive a reward need to when donating on Givealittle, is to provide their details for an e-receipt, and check the ‘Share my details with Puhoi Volunteer Rural Fire Force’ box.

 

Check out the rewards—you can even suggest a reward!—at mahurangi.org.nz

 

This initiative is also being publicised by:

 

Junction magazine Remember, Remember Puhoi Fire Station 5 November

 

Mahurangi Matters Puhoi Fire Campaign Rekindled

 

Rodney Times Puhoi Firefighters Drive for Permanent Home

 

Your support in promoting this community-led event could really be the difference in gaining momentum over the weekend. Feel free to get in contact with me at any time over the next few days to discuss further.