Monthly Archives: November 2015

Puhoi Community Forum Minutes 24/11/2015

MINUTES OF THE PUHOI FORUM COMMUNITY MEETING

HELD AT PUHOI SPORTS CLUB ON 24 NOVEMBER 2015 commencing at 7.30pm

PRESENT: Dustyn O’Leary (Chair) Peter Straka (Deputy Chair), Larry Mitchell, (Co-Chair) Beth Houlbrooke, Sorrell O’Leary, Gavin Donaldson, Terri Ryder, Paul Manton, Jim Sephton, Ginny Page, Jenny Schollum, Sandra Beagley, Martin Smith, Alan Wagstaff, Judith Williams, Wendy Hayton (Minutes)

Apologies: Chris Mundell

WELCOME

Dustyn welcomed members to the meeting.

  1. PRESENTATION BY TRAVERSE LTD AND STRATANET re PUHOI INTERNET OPTION

Paul Fearon and Ryan Newman circulated information including photos of equipment and gave a brief overview of their position. Paul Fearon has bought land for subdivision development (former Tolphof family and Turnbull family land), and has found that Telecom is unable to provide a good internet service within the area of subdivision. Since Telecom are also unable to provide a service to many outlying areas of Puhoi, he, together with Ryan Newman of Stratanet, are proposing a wireless internet and VOIP system via a pole situated on the loop track above the River Park. Solar panels connected with the pole would be sited over the ridge to the north and therefore well away from the walking track and invisible from the village. The cost of providing the 4 metres high pole and the whole system would be delivered free of charge to Puhoi users. The pole would be able to provide high speed internet to those properties within line of sight of the pole. This would include the Puhoi valley and the Krippner Road valley. Stratanet is specializing in filling the gaps that Telecom and other national providers cannot fill. There are no health issues to wildlife or humans, and no other known environmental issues. Planting could be done around the concrete base of the pole.

It was agreed that Peter Straka will work with Beth Houlbrooke to understand what Council requirements there might be for such equipment to be installed in the Pioneer Memorial Park. Once these parameters are understood, Peter, together with the Co-Chairs will get back to the next Forum meeting. It was agreed that if there are Council processes which can allow the installation of the pole, there should be discussion in the wider Puhoi community, about this and other options for Puhoi’s internet delivery.

Action: Peter Straka

  1. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING 27.10.15

Motion 1

That the minutes of the previous meeting held on 27 October 2015 were confirmed as being a true and accurate record.

Moved: Peter Straka

Seconded: Paul Manton

Carried

  1. TREASURER’S REPORT (previously circulated)

This report was received and accepted.

The amount of $30 was approved to pay to the Secretary for meeting work for the month.

  1. KRIPPNER ROAD POPLARS

Dustyn with a number of other Committee Members from the Forum had met with the Council’s Stormwater Engineer and his supervisor. As had been suspected. The trees should not have been cut down. The Council representatives were most apologetic and offered to make amends by providing appropriate trees for replanting. A decision needs to be made between planting more poplars, or planting native trees. The existing poplars are likely to regenerate over time.

It was agreed that community input be sought via email (Dustyn to send out) and the Puhoi newsletter (Judith).

Action:Dustyn O’Leary

Judith Williams

Motion 2

That the local Puhoi community residents be consulted via email and newsletter to approve the

planting of either poplars or native tree species to replace the felled poplars in Krippner Road.

Moved: Paul Manton

Seconded: Jim Sephton

Carried

  1. NZTA FUNDING PROPOSAL

Jim Sephton declared a conflict of interest regarding this discussion and did not participate.

Larry Williams had drafted a proposal, which he outlined at the meeting. The purpose of this proposal to NZTA is to provide information to whichever of the 3 contractors wins the current contract to build the new motorway to Warkworth, regarding the impact of these building works on the Puhoi community, and its subsequent impact of having a motorway so close to the village over the coming years.

Larry had emphasized in the draft document the official status of the Puhoi Community Forum as an incorporated society with charitable status to put forward such a proposal. The proposal puts forward some suggestions as to what the community might consider to be a meaningful cornerstone project, which the successful contractor might like to fund. These might include new premises for the museum, a heritage model village, improvements/development of the Park. A number of other options were suggested such as a new Scout Hall, improvements to the existing Community Hall, beautification of the village etc. Some of Puhoi’s current much needed projects such as traffic safety can and should likely become Council projects in the future, rather than NZTA contractor projects. Within this proposal, the suggestions for such a cornerstone project need to be broad brush rather than specific, leaving the ability to discuss further detail, and for community input and consultation, once a successful contractor has been identified.

Motion 3

That a document goes forward to the NZTA expressing the Puhoi Community’s interest in terms of Section 601 ULDF requesting that bidders consider providing community funding in recognition of the impact of the motorway project on the Puhoi community. The Co-Chairpersons and the Deputy Chair are to liaise to finalise the current draft document and to ensure that it is submitted to the NZTA ahead of the Christmas 2015 deadline.

Moved: Larry Mitchell

Seconded: Peter Straka

Carried

  1. GENERAL BUSINESS

  1. Animals at risk from shotguns in the village

Terri Ryder’s young cat had been shot by persons unknown close to the village and had required to date $4000 worth of surgery. Judith is to alert the community to this destructive and potentially illegal behavior in the next newsletter.

Action: Judith Williams

  1. River Walkway Development update

Peter Straka reported that Hans had met with the Council representative who was very happy with the work carried out. There is one contour that needs to be changed. Peter will do this.

Action: Peter Straka

  1. Neighbourhood Picnic

It was agreed this should be held in the Community Hall on Thursday 10 December at 6pm. Judith Williams kindly volunteered to head up the organisation for this.

Action: Judith Williams

  1. New Farmers’ Market Manager required

Phillipa is stepping down after 8 years, for which the community is most grateful. The job has a small remuneration attached and is mainly involved with liaising with stallholders, attracting new stall holders, bookings, organising groups to play the music etc. Discussion took place as to whether or not it is possible for different organisations to organise the market on a rotational basis (such as the scouts etc) for fundraising purposes.

 

The Farmer’s Market also requires new committee members. Judith Williams requested that anyone interested in either position contact her by email.

 

  1. Dance Event 6pm Monday 14 December

Jenny Schollum reported that the final practice for the year of the Dance Group would be a public event to be held in the Community Hall on 14 December at 6pm. All are welcome.

 

  1. Business Group

The Puhoi Business Group is interested in coming under the umbrella of the Puhoi Community Forum to take advantage of better liaison with both the community and the Council. Dustyn and Larry are to contact Kathy and liaise as to how this will occur.

Action: Dustyn O’Leary

Larry Mitchell

 

  1. Village Traffic Safety Group

More Committee members are needed. Please email Jim Sephton.

  1. Shuttle bus (Commuter) Warkworth to Auckland City

This is a new privately run service which has recently commenced. Judith Williams is to put details of this in the next newsletter and Dustyn will circulate the information by email to the community at large.

Action: Judith Williams

Dustyn O’Leary

(ix) Events Health and Safety Presentation by Council

Judith Williams had attended a presentation on Events Safety given by the Council and

has a USB of the presentation to lend to interested members.

 

  1. Donation of Welcome to Puhoi brochures by Theo Koops and family

The community is very grateful for the Koops’ donation of Welcome to Puhoi brochures as their leaving gift. Dustyn is to write a note of thanks on behalf of the Forum.

Action: Dustyn O’Leary

  1. Neighbourhood Watch

Paul Manton reported that he had had non-identifiable pieces of shearing equipment stolen from his shed. It was agreed that especially coming up to Christmas the community needs to be aware of the need to lock doors and sheds against such unfortunate events.

 

NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 26 January 2016 at 7.30pm in the Sports Hall.

 

The meeting finished at 9pm.

 

Pussy Needs a New Home

I have a 3yr old spayed cat that needs re housing, in other words free to a good home. Bonnie has been bred on a farm and has been used to living outside on a lifestyle block. She is a great mouse catcher. I can be contacted on cell 0274 960475 or by text.

Kind regards Suzanne Coleman

Suzanne Coleman

PO Box 352 Silverdale 0944. NZ Cell: +64 274960475 Hme: +64 9 4220073 Email: suzannecoleman55@gmail.com

poster

Finally, Find Out What Your Neighbours Have Been Up To…

…the noises, smells and voices, from the shed.. the furtive late night activities. Chances are it was a local artist putting finishing touches to a masterpiece which will be on display at the Puhoi Art Exhibition!

As an esteemed Puhoi Newsletter Recipient you are invited to join us in the Hall at 7pm on Friday 27th for the Preview Evening. You’ll have a chance to sip a glass of wine and give your opinions a bit too loudly about the art on display. There’ll be music, cheese and nibbles too – just bring some coins for the raffles … and don’t forget all the works are for sale and christmas is coming.

If you can’t make the preview, the exhibition is running all week 10am-4pm until 6th December. Do pop by – its looking like our biggest show yet!

Puhoi Forum Meeting Agenda – 24th Nov 2015

PUHOI COMMUNITY FORUM

MEETING TO BE HELD ON TUESDAY 24 NOVEMBER 2015 at 7.30pm at THE PUHOI SPORTS CLUB – CHAIRPERSON – DUSTYN O’LEARY

AGENDA

  1. APOLOGIES

  1. PRESENTATION FROM RACHEL BLUNDELL – NZTA 

  1. PRESENTATION FROM PAUL FEARON (TRAVERSE Ltd) re AN ALTERNATIVE TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICE FOR THE VILLAGE

  1. CONFIRMATION OF THE MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING Held on

27 October 2015

  1. MATTERS ARISING FROM THOSE MINUTES (not appearing on this Agenda)

  1. CORRESPONDENCE IN

CORRESPONDENCE OUT

  1. TREASURER’S REPORT

  1. KRIPPNER RD POPLARS – REVIEW MEETING WITH COUNCIL AND

DISCUSS MITIGATION ACTION

  1. NZTA GRANT APPLICATION – DISCUSS AND DECIDE ON A PRIORITY PROJECT FOR THIS APPLICATION

  1. OTHER REPORTS

Update on River Walkway Planting and development

GENERAL BUSINESS

  1. Neighbourhood picnic – first week of December and venue? – Judith Williams

  2. Farmers’ market – needs a new manager

  3. Newsletter/communications arrangements for January?

NEXT MEETINGDate and Chairperson to be agreed.

Please invite other residents and friends of Puhoi to attend – widen participation!