Monthly Archives: May 2013

Puhoi Rural Force Force May Report

28/05/2013 Report for the Forum.

 firebrigade-large

The brigade has been quiet of late with just medicals being our mainstay. It always amazes me just how often there is not an ambulance readily available from Warkworth or Silverdale and we get responded whilst one is sent up from town or Wellsford. That said it is something we do willingly for the community and are lucky to have 4 St John Ambulance personnel in our brigade to help perform these duties.

Members of the Puhoi Brigade spent many hours at the 3 big fires the region had this year- Gt Barrier, Tapora and Matakana, and gained some fantastic fire ground knowledge and skills during this time. All reports from the fire ground bosses were that our members were a credit to the brigade. Well done!

Obviously the Fire Season is now well and truly over. As we are all now part of the large Auckland Fire District we in Rodney had to wait for other areas of Auckland to get rain so the whole area could be changed to an open season- which is why it took so long even though Puhoi was very damp indeed.

Please remember that even though it is an open season for fires there is a provision in the clean air act regarding smoke and if we are called out to a fire that has a smoke nuisance element to it we have to extinguish it. Oh and don’t put your hot ashes in a plastic bucket either, especially on a wooden deck!!!

Unfortunately age gets the better of some things and our tanker has succumbed to old age and wear and tear. The engine has given up. The Council in its wisdom has deemed that Puhoi shall no longer have a tanker much to the brigade’s disappointment and will not be repairing it. However the Brigade will be getting a newer ute to replace our own one and it with have some special fire fighting apparatus on it- a first in NZ apparently- so we are looking forward to this and what it can do.

Of most importance is the issuing of the Resource Consent to allow us to build our Fire Station at 52 Ahuroa Rd.

Although the process was lengthy and sometimes moving at a glacial pace I am comfortable that it was fair process and allowed the affected parties to share their concerns and have them considered. The hearing was before two commissioners who had visited the site and were fully aware of Puhoi’s uniqueness. All parties acted with integrity and I thank them for that. The consent has come with some restrictions which we have fully agreed with in the interests of preserving the neighbours privacy. In fact the brigade requested of the commissioners that some usage was removed from the application as we could see that it was infringing on the neighbours rights and we felt it important to prioritise that.

So now that we have the resource consent we need to get some plans drawn up and approved then off to the funders for some money we go. Our best gestimate at this stage is we will need to raise another $300,000 to complete the station, which will probably be about $600,000 in total. Obviously these figures will be able to be verified once plans,etc have been agreed and finalised. We are now requesting letters of interest from contractors or professionals that can help us in the design, plan, build of the Station.

The Brigade will have a display at the June Farmers Market for people to come and view a mock up of a draft design of the station to get feedback and ideas from the community, that we can incorporate in the final design. We are hoping to get some tangible progress by the end of the year.

The brigade is also looking for new volunteers ( or even some of the oldtimers to come back! ) so please contact myself or Rob Beardmore if you are interested. The main prerequisite is to live or work close enough to the station so you can respond within 4 minutes.

So, keep yourself safe, report any incidents to 111 and thanks for your support.

Russell Green

Chief Fire Officer

Puhoi.

021 655461

Historical Society AGM Report

At the Puhoi Historical Society AGM on May 14, Sue Tisdall was returned as president and Sheryll Titford and Jenny Schollum as secretary and treasurer, with Stephen Schedewy as a new addition to the committee. Many thanks to the society for all the hard and valuable work you always do – we note how it has stepped up vastly this sesquicentennial year.

As Hans Everts pointed out during the launch at the AGM of the publication Celebrating Puhoi, A Walking Guide to the Puhoi Historic Village and Its Bohemian Heritage, heritage was sacred and precious to the individual and the community, and it was timely to consider what our community would need in the next 10 to 20 years, and the Puhoi Historical Society’s place in this future. Hans especially mentioned the role of  Werner Fischer, who is now very ill, in the production of Celebrating Puhoi. The publication is on sale through the PHS for $10.

And at the same meeting Carole Hay and Priscilla Everts gave a foretaste of the art and photographic display being planned for the June 28-30 2013 in collaboration with the Puhoi Historical Society. The venture will see the Hall walls covered with historic photographs provided by the society, representing the Puhoi of the past, and that of the present represented by the two artists, who have combined their photographic, artistic and calligraphic talents for the anniversary

The meeting thanked them for their contribution in enhancing Puhoi’s sesquicentennial.

Art Meets History

At the Historical Society AGM Carole Hay and Priscilla Everts gave a foretaste of the art and photographic display being planned for the June 28-30 2013 in collaboration with the Puhoi Historical Society. The venture will see the Hall walls covered with historic photographs provided by the society, representing the Puhoi of the past, and that of the present represented by the two artists, who have combined their photographic, artistic and calligraphic talents for the anniversary. The sample of artistic styles, framing and combinations of media they showed was an exciting indication of the quality of the works to be displayed around the hall for the three-day anniversary, most of which are one-off, some of which will be for sale and some can be reprinted. Some of us were especially taken by a photographic view of our church surrounded painstakingly with the words and notation from the Egerlaender Volksingmesse -the Egerlaender Folk Mass – once performed there.  “A challenging collaboration between the skill of the photographer, artist and calligrapher by two assertive women, both full of ideas and the ability to work together,” was Priscilla and Carole’s description of their venture. The meeting thanked them for their contribution in enhancing Puhoi’s sesquicentennial.

Puhoi Community Forum Meeting Minutes April 2014

MINUTES FOR THE PUHOI COMMUNITY FORUM
PO Box 404199 PUHOI
COMMITTEE MEETING HELD AT PUHOI SPORTS CLUB
Tuesday 29 April 7 PM
CHAIRMAN – H Everts

PRESENT: H Everts, G Sorensen, S Tisdall, B Marcroft, H Beech, P Manton, H Darnell, S Rofe, F Endemann, K Balmer, B Houlbrooke (RLB),  G Driver, J Simons, D Newcombe (Waipora),
A Prospese-Smith, T Schulz-Golland, B Schegula, L Smith, M Hayton, R Straka, S Hackett, S Buckley, M Bellham, T Koops, B Titford, G Donaldson, C Power, D Dodsworth

APOLOGIES:  R Green, D Hay, P Straka, D Hicks

MINUTES OF LAST MEETING:          Moved:  P Manton    2nd: S Tisdall
Minutes of Special Meeting held 10 April     Moved: T Koops    2nd: P Manton

MATTERS ARISING:     J Simons pointed out that the membership fee is as stated in Minutes of 25/3/2014 a membership fee and therefore not tax deductable.  Under the definition of the Charities Commission only a donation is tax deductable.

CORRESPONDENCE IN:  B Houlbrooke, (RLB) re grazing lease. (filed)

CORRESPONDENCE OUT: H Everts to B Houlbrooke (RLB) re grazing lease (filed)

TREASURERS REPORT:  received         Moved: H Everts    2nd: P Manton

GROUP REPORTS: taken as read (circulated)
GENERAL BUSINESS:

Te Araroa Walk Reaches Puhoi
H Everts welcomed Rob Wakelin to the meeting to speak to the PCF about the Te Araroa Walkway, which has now reached Puhoi.  The walk begins at Remiger road, with a swing bridge and winds through to the village via the Memorial Park and onward to Wenderholm via the river and travels on.  Rob spoke to the wonderful asset we have in our village, and encouraged all Puhoi residents to get involved with the walkway, inviting locals to “get to know the tourists”.  120 people have already walked through so far, and a number of people have walked the entire track, or are planning to do so, a journey which would take approximately five months, and taking in the entire length of NZ.

Puhoi Pioneers memorial Park Reserve Development Plan (RDP)
A document “Summary of Information on Proposed Puhoi Pioneers Memorial Park Reserve Development Plan” was available for circulation at the meeting.
H Everts welcomed Rodney and Shelly to the meeting.  This proposed plan will guide the development of the Puhoi Pioneers Memorial Park (PPMP).  It is envisaged that the RDP will exist beneath the RMP but adopt the objective and polices of the Reserve Management Plan.  Goals and usage of the Park in conjunction with the Te Araroa Walkway, together with the roles of the various stakeholders in the park were discussed. It is proposed that the three members of the Landcare group who are experienced in environmental management, environmental education, ecological assessment, reserve planning and recreational planning will drive the preparation of the document in close liaison with the Puhoi Community Forum, Council and the Local community.

Landcare’s role will be to undertake the following:

Consultation with the community
Consultation with the Council
Consultation with parties with interest in the Park i.e. the grazing sub-licensee, Puhoi Community Forum, Te Araroa Walkway Trust, etc.
Fieldwork (fence line mapping (current/future), walkway mapping (current/future), weed surveys, vegetation surveys, faunal surveys.
Plan writing.

MEETING CLOSED:      8.30 PM
NEXT MEETING:          27th May 2014
CHAIRMAN:         P Straka

Approved by:

Puhoi Community Forum Meeting Minutes April 2013

  • PCF APRIL 30 2013 MINUTES 

    PRESENT: committee members Ruth Cunliffe, chairwoman, Hans Everts, co-chair, Sue Tisdall, treasurer, Judith Williams, acting secretary, Peter Straka, Fran Endemann; visitors Rodney Local Board member June Turner, Local Matters journalist Jannette Thompson, Sheryll and Brian Titford, John Simons, Simon Walters, Thorsten Golland, Priscilla Everts

     

    WELCOME AND APOLOGIES: welcomed Rodney Local Board member June Turner, Local Matters journalist Jannette Thompson, Sheryll and Brian Titford, John Simons, Simon Walters, Thorsten Golland, Priscilla Everts apologies Gay Murphy, Russell Green, Kelvin Schedewy

    New Puhoi Cottage Café owner Thorsten Golland described the vision which had led his family from Germany to Puhoi.

     

    APPROVAL OF MINUTES: moved Peter Straka, seconded Fran Endemann

     

    MATTERS ARISING FROM MINUTES: none

     

    CORRESPONDENCE IN: general rate report from Bruce Scoggins

     

    TREASURER’S REPORT: opening balance, $322.85, April 30 balance, $237.85, wharf account, $232.79, $183.33 banked in Puhoi River Park Account as payment from Ross Tolhopf.

    Correction: add $60 to March report balance

    Acceptance of report moved Judith Williams, seconded Hans Everts

    Approval of $30 payment to acting secretary moved Fran Endemann, seconded Peter Straka.

     

    CLUB AND OTHER REPORTS

    1. Rodney Local Board: In response to an earlier question by David Dodsworth RLB member June Turner reported the domain bridge strength was compliant, but a little filling needed to be done on one end.

    Astro turf funding for the Puhoi tennis courts had been requested by Sharon Hallett from the sports club. Action: June Turner to clarify whether the bridge weight posted on the bridge was correct.

     

    2. Puhoi Pioneers Memorial Park: Ross Tolhopf and Peter Straka had prepared a design for new stock yards on the park. Ross was ready to start on the building when the forum gave the go-ahead. Action: Peter, Hans and Ross to meet to push the matter ahead.

     

    3. Puhoi And Districts Motorway Action Group: no report

     

    4. Matakana Country and Coast Business Group: group representative Sue Tisdall pointed out that Waiwera came under the Puhoi business group umbrella.

     

    5. Hall Committee: AGM May 29. Judith Williams moved thanks to the hall for running the quiz evening, seconded Sue Tisdall.

     

    6. Sports Club: president Simon Walters reported the lodging of the tennis court surfacing funding application and the proposed reopening of the sports pitch around mid May and thanked June Turner for her support. Around 150 local people attended the recent very successful soccer away game.

     

    7. Library Group: $195 was made from the Anzac Day display for the RSA. The library group would contribute to the Puhoi 150th Anniversary celebrations between June 15 and 30.

     

    8. Church Properties and Cemetery: Peter Straka reported the church was ‘open for business’.

     

    9. Puhoi Farmers Market: (report by market representative Judith Williams was attached ) Priscilla Everts described the interest in their origins showed by visitors to the Dutch stall. Brian Titford suggested the market would be improved if it provided for people wanting breakfasts.

     

    10. Puhoi Landcare: Judith Williams described the landcare group offer to contribute to sesquicentennial celebrations with a June 23 commemorative community planting and to provide the 150th anniversary committee with trees if they wished to run a different event. Brian and Sheryll Titford would give a plaque for the planting. Brian advised people complaining of wasps on public land such as near the dray to contact Auckland Council, which had chemicals to deal with the underground nests. Action: Judith to liaise with 150th committee and Landcare over planting event

     

    11. Puhoi Historical Society: The AGM is May 15. Subscriptions would remain at ? and would be due on that date, chairwoman Sue Tisdall said.

     

    12. Puhoi Website: the website was proving a useful tool, the meeting was told.

     

    13. Puhoi Rural Fire Force: Resource Consent application results had been communicated to the affected parties. Action: PCF to access the results

     

    14. Puhoi 150th Anniversary (report by anniversary representative Judith Williams was attached)

     

    GENERAL BUSINESS

     

    a.unitary plan: comments by presentation attendees noted the lack of detail on rural areas, except for the impression gained from the SEAS discussion that they were ‘being locked up for the benefit and use of city dwellers’. John Simons pointed to the confusion created by apparently opposing treatment of some Puhoi heritage sites in the plan. Action. Hans Everts to further investigate relationship between Unitary Plan and Puhoi Structure Plan . Findings to be circulated to committee prior to next meeting for further discussion with view to Forum submitting feedback to Council by closing date of 31st May 5pm.

    b.farewell to Morag and John Standbrook: moved Judith Williams, seconded Sue Tisdall that the PCF acknowledge the contribution made to local community life by Morag, a former forum chairwoman and Puhoi River Park sub-committee member, on the occasion of their leaving Puhoi to live at Thames. Action: invite Morag and Jonathon to attend the May 28 forum meeting for a presentation of appreciation. Action: Sue and Judith to organise, forum members to contribute to expense.

    c.mail mix-up: moved Hans Everts, seconded Fran Endemann, that the forum support Mike Swain’s offer to collate cases of mail return-to-sender mix-ups to take to NZ Post. Action: Hans Everts, Gay Murphy and Ruth Cunliffe to take this up and Ruth to speak to Mike Swain and Nick Lodewyks.

    d.Saleyards Road sight lines and Stop sign: John Simons alerted to the difficulty of sighting traffic approaching from the right for motorists waiting at the Saleyards – Ahuroa Roads intersection Stop sign when large vehicles were parked there, because of the positioning of the yellow stop lines there. Action: John to approach Auckland Council to deal with the problem.

    e.AGM date and first 2013-2014 committee meeting: June 25 2013 Sports Club, 7pm. Subscriptions will be due on or before that date. Action: PCF officers to notify public 14 days in advance and arrange chairpersons’ and financial reports, subscription collection, nominations for independent committee members and letters of approval for club representatives.

     

    NEXT MEETING AND CHAIRPERSON: 7.30pm Sports Club, May 28, Hans Everts

     

    MEETING CLOSED: circa 9.45pm

     

     

     

We Know Who We Are

The Hall committee would like to thank everyone who came to the quiz night. I am sure those who came had a very enjoyable evening. The teams were quite evenly matched as there were only 10 points between the first and last team.
There were lots of raffles and prizes, and we would like to thank local businesses for their support. Puhoi Mustard makers, Puhoi Cheese Cafe, Puhoi library, New World Warkworth, Orewa Menswear, Dick Smith Orewa, Flowers by Joanne, Orewa Optics, Curves Orewa and Puhoi Canoes.
The Puhoi Hall belongs to all residents of Puhoi, which in turn means that we have to fundraise for money to pay for the maintenance and insurance etc. We have recently painted the inside and outside of the hall. Our next big expense will be a new roof.
Our AGM is Wednesday 29th May 7pm. Please think about coming to the meeting and joining the committee. It is a great way to meet the neighbours especially if you have recently moved into the district.
We are all so lucky to have such a beautiful community hall, please come and help us look after it.
Regards Val Smith